Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Back from the great wet north!! #66714 10/11/05 01:23 AM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Well so much for hotel internet!! I posted a fairly long post from our hotel in Lincoln, NH and when I hit post, it switched to the Choice Hotel's site for reservations...eventhough the address and banner still said Lighthouse Keepers!?! When I checked back, no post!?! mad

Anyway, shorter, abridged version: We're back!! :p

Well, a little longer than that, we visited Stratford Point (closed gates and plenty of "no tresspassing" signs so no jockying for better pictures) and it was a little cloudy; the next day we went to Lighthouse Park and saw Five Mile Point and Southwest Ledge in the distance, but we were too early for anyone to let us in for pics of the caroussel; then to Pomham Rocks and the entire bldg. was surrounded somewhat by scaffolding, but didn't interfere too much with the picture...all white surfaces are now cream colored, so don't know if that's a primer color, or looking at the mural on the bike path it may be the original color; then on to Portsmouth Harbour and Whaleback. we stayed in Biddeford and it was too dark when we finally got through with supper to go to the beaches (Old Orchard), but the next day we went to Cape Porpoise and saw Goat Island, then to the ALF museum and Lighthouse Depot where I picked up my order of Christmas presents and a couple of lights that Bill was supposed to sign...they weren't signed!!??!! mad frown Then down to Wells Beach and on to Nubble. We left there and went to the White Mountains where, though a leeeeetle early, the colors were pretty, the weather surprisingly WARM and sunshine until later Friday afternoon when the rain started coming in, and ran into the terrential stuff Saturday between MA, CT and then finally in NY/NJ; all in all, a great trip with a little too much driving for one person, and probably better foliage than this weeks visitors are seeing as the rain has settled in, and though not exactly like the pictures, some places were near/at peak.

No Moose though (as much as we drove and a few times coming back to the hotel after 7 - 7:30), just Wild Turkeys, chipmunks, birds and waterfalls and/or covered bridges.

Now, back to reality!! :rolleyes: .

Oh yeah, the author/historian William O. Thomson was signing books at Nubble gift shop and he said that despite the guy at Lighthouse Depot saying that they're considering getting helicopter tours of Boon Island (which you can see off in the distance behind Nubble), he wouldn't count on it due to the location and condition of the area; including the lighthouse steps. And I also heard bits and pieces about the plans in the works for a remodel/upgrade of the grounds and perhaps a way to visit Nubble in the works in the not too distant future.

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: Back from the great wet north!! #66715 10/11/05 10:52 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
We had a wonderful-weather summer and early fall, but the current weather of late is terrible. Rain, rain, and more rain predicted. On behalf of the people of the northeast section of our country, I must apologize for your unfortunate weather during your recent visit, Steve.

I moved my boat out of it's summertime home yesterday. It is now at the boat mover's marina waiting to be hauled tomorrow. Time to bring "It's Only Money" home for another cold winter in the yard.

I could tell that there was a lot of boating this fall because all the slips at area marinas are still full. People have resisted the urge to haul their vessels hoping for a couple more good weekends. My guess is the cold weather is knocking at the door and the warm weather is gone until next spring.

Will you be sharing some pics from your trip, Steve?

smile Bob smile

Re: Back from the great wet north!! #66716 10/11/05 11:06 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sounds like you had a great trip except for the nasty weather on the way home. Sure would like to see some of your pictures.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Back from the great wet north!! #66717 10/11/05 02:48 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
That would be great news about Nubble! WOT always seems to be working the giftshop when he's not traveling. He's a real treat to meet!
Bob

ps Here's my little saga in 2001. :rolleyes:
Stratford Point

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Back from the great wet north!! #66718 10/11/05 03:07 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well done Bob! Read your narration on your trip in 2001. Very nice and the pictures are great also.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Back from the great wet north!! #66719 10/11/05 05:54 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Steve,

Whenever I'm in a hotel/motel room, I first put my posts in Word. Then I copy and paste once I get to the Collector Forums. It works -- and even saves money.

bobo

Re: Back from the great wet north!! #66720 10/11/05 11:32 PM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Thanks for the suggestions, and as far as the weather, that last day or two almost, but not totally tried to ruin the vacation, but now that it's all behind us, the gorgeous weather will remain in our memories longer than the dreary ride home.

As for pictures, I will have to see as I took 4 roles and about 104 on the digital and it's a painstaking chore to download the 104, but if I have luck and can get them in the files (if I can find that paper with the instructions), I'll post a few.

Steve

Re: Back from the great wet north!! #66721 10/19/05 06:54 PM
Bigbird Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Okay, if Bert sees that he can do anything with the pics, I'll post a few (or 'splain - as Ricky Ricardo would say - should he post). While he was at it, I sent the Savannah trip too! :p (hope I didn't overload his circuitry eek )

Steve

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users