Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Staten Island Tour Part 2 #62029 04/18/04 01:20 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We continued our little tour of Staten Island after lunch at a local diner.

The Great Beds Lighthouse was our next stop. We drove over to the South shore are of Staten Island and parked the buses and walked down to the beach to get a close look at the Lighthouse.

Here's a photo of it-

We left there and drove on over to Prince's Bay lighthouse. this one has it's Lantern Room removed and at one point had a statue of Mary in it's place. The house and area was at one point the Summer Home for the Cardinal of New York, it is no longer though.

The Lighthouse was replaced by a light on a pole. Here's a photo of each of them-

We left there and went on our merry way to the last Lighthouse of the day- Elm Tree Lighthouse. It's one of the plainest Lighthouses anywhere. Here's a photo for you-

It's at the end of what was Miller Field an airstrip on Staten Island used in the Second World War and now part of Gateway National Park.

Elm Tree may not be impressive but if you walk about 300 yards from it you can look out and see 4 Lighthouses on a clear day- Coney Island, West Bank, Old Orchard and Romers Shoal.

This completed the Lighthouse portion of our day. We did have one more important stop before going back to Ft Wadsworth to get our cars.

Mike who had arranged the tour both now and in October lives in the area and volunteers at Sandy Hook. He had brought some goodies from a local bakery a few times and there were many fans of those goodies so they talked him into stopping there.

You would have thought it was a Lighthouse Gift Shop- just about everybody came out with many little and some big boxes from the Bakery or the chocolate Store next door.

We found our way back to Ft Wadsworth said our goodbyes and left for home.All in all a grerat day- nice weather, nice people , nice goodies and the piece de resistance a bunch of Lighthouses.

Dennis

Re: Staten Island Tour Part 2 #62030 04/18/04 01:55 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for taking us along on your adventure, Dennis. Does look like you had a pretty day, and you got to see some lights that are off the beaten track.

By the way, did you carry out a small package or a large one from the last stop?

Re: Staten Island Tour Part 2 #62031 04/18/04 02:30 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Dave,

Personally I was a good boy and carried no packages large or small.

However, Esther did carry a couple of boxes out and I can say that they make a mean brownie.

Dennis

Re: Staten Island Tour Part 2 #62032 04/18/04 09:44 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for posting the pics and taking all of us along on your adventure. It's great to see pictures of lights that I never knew existed.

smile Bob smile

Re: Staten Island Tour Part 2 #62033 04/18/04 11:03 PM
RFoster Offline
Dennis,

I enjoy your trip tour pics and commentary in these two postings. Thank you for sharing some insight into these rarely seen lighthouses.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Staten Island Tour Part 2 #62034 04/19/04 01:09 AM
Lightseeker Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Dennis,

Thanks for sharing your tour with us.

I spent a couple days at Ft. Wadsworth when I was separating from the service in '69. I remember the spectacular view of the bridge at night. Didn't know about the lighthouse, though.

The Staten Island Rear Range light is a great-looking light. Wouldn't it make a fine HL? That is, if someone from Y&A could get close enough to photograph it from more than one spot!

Bruce

Re: Staten Island Tour Part 2 #62035 04/19/04 01:35 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bruce,

I agree that the Staten Island RR Light would make a great addition to HL .

I agree it's always nice to see Lights that don't get much mention. And these were fairly easy to get to for the most part. the only tough one really is Princes Bay. New Dorp is hard to see, but you can always get to it.

In the space of a few hours you can see 11 Lights in the middle of one of the largest cities in the world.

You can spend a bit more time and travel to Rossevelt Island and Jeffrey's Hook. Although Jeffrey's hook is not for the out of shape or faint of heart.

Dennis

Re: Staten Island Tour Part 2 #62036 04/20/04 12:57 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for sharing all the photos and taking us along Dennis. I have beeen in NYC several times and never knew there were so many lights to see there.

If it wasn't so expensive, NYC would be a great place to have a HL Reunion. smile

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 848 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users