Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Take me home, country road - Part 2 #68221 10/08/02 02:22 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Leaving Ogdensburg I headed west on Rt. 37. Now there is one site on the Internet that shows a light called Cole’s Shoal or Five Mile Point. I had a rough idea of where to look for it and discovered it when stopping at one of the several “scenic overlook” type places along the highway. There it was way across the river. A short white affair with no lantern room but the railing was still intact as far as I could tell. At first I thought that this was an American light but in checking that website again I determined that it was Canadian. The view’s distant but what the heck, I was just happy to have found it.

As I was scanning the shoreline with the binoculars what did I discover a bit further
north, but another light! This one is a red skeletal jobber with a red lantern affair, the
sort that is open on one side for the light. I don’t know if this is active but according to
my nautical guidebook there does seem to be a marker at it’s location so just maybe it is?
Another very distant view. Look for the red spot, lol!

Next down the road was Crossover Island (1882), this year’s Christmas Piece. I asked permission from a man who’s house was directly across from the lighthouse to take pictures. While the area I’d chosen wasn’t his property, he did thank me for asking, saying “So many people come by and just drive right in there onto the lawn.” While
chatting I asked him if he knew whether the light had been sold. He said, “I do think so. There’s been no one around for quite a while.”

Note how the tower is not half again as tall, as depicted on the HL.

Next I continued heading east taking Rt. 12.

Some hours later (reason to be revealed in another thread) I arrived at Sunken Rock
Lighthouse (1847).

After that I drove a tad further east, hit I81 for home stopping to eat at the ever popular
Gristmill Diner in Parish, NY. Here you get a double scoop of mashed potatoes that are served so hot they’ll burn your tongue if you’re not careful.

Finally around 5:30pm I was home, an
extraordinarily wonderful two days of lighthousing!!!

Re: Take me home, country road - Part 2 #68222 10/08/02 08:41 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Once again, thanks for sharing the words and photos! I especially liked the pic of Sunken Rock. I own two of those HL's. I think it is really a great little light. Now I've finally seen a picture of the real thing.

smile Bob smile

Re: Take me home, country road - Part 2 #68223 10/08/02 09:04 AM
Shirin Offline
Thanks for the trip report! I always enjoy seeing others' travels to lights I've not seen myself.

shirin

Shirin
Re: Take me home, country road - Part 2 #68224 10/08/02 11:31 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sue,

Thanks for "Take me Home, country Road Parts 1 & 2." Your pictures are great as usual. The kind I like to take when I can. John is right when he describes you as our roving ambassador. Thanks so much for your sharing, I know it's really apprreciated by more than just a few of us.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Take me home, country road - Part 2 #68225 10/08/02 02:20 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Another nice trip, Sue. Glad to see that you have managed to stay busy with the IO out of town. However, we need to get to that other thread real soon . . . "Some hours later (reason to be revealed in another thread)"

Dave

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,471 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users