Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ohio lights, etc! #61390 08/28/01 06:52 AM
chris g Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
We returned from a marvelous vacation in Ohio just 2 weeks ago. Our primary objective for visiting Ohio was the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio (Rams VS Dolphins), but found many delightful LH in Ohio as well.

Our first lighthousing day was in the Cleveland area. Started with Vermillion. It was easy to find (always a plus) and was easy to view up close. The ladies at the Inland Seas Maritime Museum were most kind too. It seems that my son managed to find a wasp or two as he approached the museum and got stung. OK, I am a pharmacist, but I just don't carry anything with me for insect stings! They had some "sting kill" in their first aid kit and gladly gave us some. We walked all over the grounds and on the shore too. It is nice to see that Lake Erie was saved from the years of pollution to be healthy again.

Moving on down the road to Lorain- can't get to it without a boat, but you can get pretty close. We stopped at Lakeview Park and got some great pictures from some rocks on the shore. We also met two kind police officers who told me I could get closer if I went down the road to Lakeview Marina. They gave us some pretty good directions and we found it with little trouble. It was hard to find a place to park though- it was Sunday and everyone was out on the lake! We finally located a spot and then walked out the pier. Got some great pictures with a few sailboats passing by the light.

Next stop, Cleveland. We weren't able to get too close to this one either. However, we did have fun driving along the lakeshore and even found the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. No time to visit, but looks like a fun place to visit.

A short drive east to Old Faiport Harbor. The light is pretty easy to find. This was one of my favorite lights on this trip. The volunteers at the museum were so friendly and kind. They didn't even make fun of me when I couldn't climb all the way to the top (I am afraid of heights). My husband took pictures from the top for me and got some great views of the New Fairport Harbor light. Back to the hotel.

Spent Monday in Canton at the Pro Football Hall of Fame- go Rams!! The on to Cedar Point for 2 days- lots of fun for coaster enthusiasts. I rode 10 of them, my kids rode all 12 of the big coasters (skipped the kids coasters). Now time for more lighthouses!

We stayed in Huron, Ohio, about 2 blocks from the pier where the lighthouse is there. It is a very unusual lighthouse- quite modern looking. I was able to get some pretty good shots by climbing up on the rocks. Again, a boat would have been ideal here.

Spent the rest of the day in the Marblehead area. We had a great visit to Marblehead. We didn't get to climb it because a storm rolled in by the time we were scheduled to climb. Took way too many pictures here (is that possible??). We also planned a picnic lunch here too- very nice State Park. The guide told me that they are scheduled to get $500,000 in renovations this winter, including AC for the keeper's house/museum. As it is a state park, Ohio has decided to spend some money on upkeep there because a petition drive last year helped them realize how important the light was for tourism. We also visited a very nice giftshop in Marblehead called Schoolhouse gifts. Wall to wall lighthouses! When we walked in, my husband's first words were,"We're going to be here awhile". He was right! Several other gift shops in town had LH collectibles (only Schoolhouse had HL) and t-shirts.

We drove out to Catawba Island to inquire about ferries to Bass Island, but found the cost prohibitive, as well as the fact that it was storming and that if we went, our van couldn't be brought back until the next day! Maybe next trip....

Next day on the road to Michigan City, Indiana. Had lunch in Toledo at Tony Packo's, the restaurant made famous by Corporal Klinger on MASH. Great food at a reasonable price. They also have a very interesting collection of autographed hot dog buns! We didn't even look for the Toledo LH because I understand it is 8 miles out! My husband was kind enough to buy a Toledo HL for me when we got home because we hadn't been able to get to it! What a guy!

Got to Michigan City that afternoon. Was happy to see so many directional signs, but don't make the same mistake we did. We follwed the signs to "Lighthouse Place" only to find out that it is an outlet mall! Once we found the park, we had no trouble. It was a beautiful day on Lake Michigan. The surf was pounding on the pier and the rocks and I took some terrific picures of the water. This is a magnificent LH and was lots of fun to visit. We also stopped at the Old Lighthouse. They were just about to close, but the volunteers there were so nice and accomodated us as we browsed the lighthouse souvenirs. Kindness seems to be a trait of lighthouse volunteers everywhere! I can hardly wait to get my Christmas Michigan City now that I have visited there!

On Saturday, we drove to Racine for the signing at Milaeger's. Bill was in his usual form! Parted with a bit of money there too. After the event at Milaeger's, we went out to Wind Point LH for a picnic with the local collector's club. Jim Johnston did a great job and we all enjoyed bratwurst and root beer. There were some great HL raffle gifts, but we didn't win any. It was a marvelous afternoon- the lake was beautiful. There was even a wedding party who came out to have their pictures taken on the grounds. The volunteer guide said that is very common there.

After leaving Wind Point, we drove back through Kenosha (where we were staying) and got pictures of the pierhead light and the old lighthouse too. There are some really cool doors on the LH- they are wrought iron and shaped like lighthouses and include the date. Unfortunately this LH could use some funds- the keeper's house is empty and the grounds could use some help. They are not totally negelected, but could use a little loving care. It's a really neat old light though.

Next day, Milwaukee. Went on a lake cruise and got some really great views of the pierhead and breakwater lights. Another great day for being at the lakeside- delightful weather and gentle breezes. We also found the Milwaukee Northpoint Lighthouse. It is on a beautiful bluff near a golf course. It's a short walk to the LH. The path was great because it is used by so many walkers and joggers.

Planned on stopping by Grosse Point LH on our way back to St. Louis, but my son developed an ear infection (swimmer's ear), so we decided to head straight home. We're close enough to Chicago that we can see it on another trip.

Oh by the way, my husband is already talking about our next lighthouse trip- I think that he is hooked like me now!

chris g

Chris G
Re: Ohio lights, etc! #61391 08/28/01 09:30 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Great Report, Chris! Thanks for 'taking us along'.

Re: Ohio lights, etc! #61392 08/28/01 09:49 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Glad you had a good time, Chris. You were close to my stomping ground, since the Pro Football Hall of Fame is only about 15-20 minutes away from us. The parade and game always gets pretty roudy each year. Next time you are in Cleveland, right behind the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame is the 'Goodtime 3' tour boat. Usually runs twice a day and sits around 250 people. It cruises out right between the pier lights, as well as 7 miles down the Cuyahoga River through the flats and under 7 operating lift and swing bridges. Fully narrated and quite interesting. Glad you made it to Cedar Point. We're a little spoiled having it close by, it's definately roller coaster heaven! Have never been to another park that has so many and such excellent coasters.
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 08-28-2001).]

Re: Ohio lights, etc! #61393 08/28/01 08:51 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Wish we knew you were going to be in our hometown of Huron, OH. Diane and I could have met you for dinner or drinks and pointed you to a few other lights in the area. Glad you enjoyed your visit to Ohio.

I'll have to agree with Rod about being spoiled with Cedar Point so close. We haven't been there in about 3 years and it is only a 10 minute drive away.

Tom & Diane

Re: Ohio lights, etc! #61394 08/29/01 01:03 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing your vacation with us Chris. You can't handle the lighthouse towers but roller coasters are ok? Go figure!

Re: Ohio lights, etc! #61395 08/29/01 01:17 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Have to agree with Mombo - some of those roller coasters are pretty high up there!

The Old Michigan City light is a very enjoyable one, and the museum is quite good. Even has 2 Fresnel lenses. We were there on 8/6 with the Bradys and BY. Bill had a very nice visit with the historical society folks, and I think they all enjoyed his visit.

We will have to get back to the Fairport Main light, as the museum was closed when we visited a few years back. Thanks for sharing your trip with us Chris.

Dave

Re: Ohio lights, etc! #61396 08/29/01 02:31 AM
chris g Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Tom and Diane- I didn't know you lived in Huron or we would have loved to get together with you! We are just now starting to get to know a lot of the other collectors, so we are a bit behind on these fiendships too! We enjoyed Huron very much- it is a very nice community. We stayed at the River's Edge Inn and had a very pleasant stay.

mombo- you're right about the roller coaster thing. I have enjoyed roller coasters ever since I was a kid and have never had trouble with the heights. I don't have any trouble when I fly either. I have even been to the top of the St. Louis Arch several times (630 feet). I think it has something to do with being closed in and being secured. The sensation that bothers me the most is the fear of falling. I've been working on it for many years- some day maybe it will all pass.

Rod- we stayed in Akron because we were unable to get a room in Canton- the Hall of Fame festival is a such a huge event! It is really not too far to drive and keeps you out of a lot of the crowds.

Overall, we enjoyed Ohio very much. I didn't even mention the time we spent in Dayton at the US Air Force Museum. We spent an entire day there and didn't even see it all. We especially enjoyed the Presidential Aircraft. The best part about it was that the admission and parking were free!

Thanks to all for your kind comments- we will probably return to Ohio for more lighthousing some day!

chris g

Chris G
Re: Ohio lights, etc! #61397 08/29/01 09:12 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Thanks for showing me some of the Ohio lights. When I retire I plan on doing a lot of lighthousing up that way...not too familiar with the lighthouses you visited....I don't do roller coasters either but have been to the top of the arch....I didn't much like that either, but my 6th grader at the time, insisted that I go.....like you Chris, I work on doing better when I climb lighthouses......
Derith

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,396 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users