Print Thread
Which Light is next to the Tappan Zee bridge ? #65662 01/30/00 03:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I remember seeing a lighthouse on the north side/east bank of the hudson as we crosed the Tappan Zee bridge, was that Tarrytown ?

Expiring minds want to know, Mark

Re: Which Light is next to the Tappan Zee bridge ? #65663 01/30/00 10:39 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Yep, thats Tarrytown Mark. We have driven over the bridge 8 times now, and never stopped once to see it up close. This summer we are finally going to stop and photograph it. Heres a nice page on the light:
http://www.pojonews.com/enjoy/stories/tarrytownpg.htm

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 01-30-2000).]

Re: Which Light is next to the Tappan Zee bridge ? #65664 02/26/00 05:44 PM
greed Offline
Mark, Rod--
Tarrytown is a very nice light to visit. It is very hard to find, it's in a riverfront state park. Take Rte. 9 off the Tappan-zee bridge and follow that to the state park. Good luck and have fun!!!!
------------The R---------

Re: Which Light is next to the Tappan Zee bridge ? #65665 02/26/00 08:03 PM
DeDo Offline
What a coincidence,just got in from visiting the Tarrytown light. The county parks department has a tour about once a month on either a Saturday or Sunday.

Visited it for the first time last March. I went back today to get some photos on a more muted day. Also there has been so much demolition of the GM plant in the last year that the whole surrounding area is changed.

Met another Wacko on the tour, Dennis from New Jersey. The Whelands decided to take a couple hour drive to see again the little light. Now I know why we are called Wackos.

Enjoyed chatting with them about our HLs collections, the forum and our kids college experiences. It was fun comparing lights we have visited.

It is really better to try & time your visit with a tour. Otherwise a fence keeps you from getting close enough for any good pictures. Plus the tour puts you into the light where the lightkeeper & family actually lived.

So for all those interested in visiting our little Hudson River light call the parks department for their upcoming schedule: (914) 242-6324.

Donna

Re: Which Light is next to the Tappan Zee bridge ? #65666 02/27/00 01:48 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Donna,
Were you or Dennis wearing your official HL Wacko badge, or how did you manage to make the conncection? Neat that you were able to meet an internet friend on the tour. Now you must post some pictures!
Dave

Re: Which Light is next to the Tappan Zee bridge ? #65667 02/27/00 01:26 PM
DeDo Offline
Hi Dave,

Dennis was wearing a t-shirt with the Tarrytown lighthouse on it. I asked him where he got it. He started to explain thru the collectors forum not realizing I knew right there that he had to be a Harbour Light or at least lighthouse nut.

Actually, I didn't take as many pictures as I intended. I was too engrossed in conversation with Dennis & his wife re our common interests. But since it is a local light I'll have other opportunities.

I was visiting the light alone, so I find I tend to strike up conversations more than when I'm with my husband. In fact chatting with another guy on the tour I found out about a bald eagle group meeting this PM further up the Hudson. Seems the eagles winter on islands due to the fish available. So my camera & I plan to join them & hope to spot the eagles.

Just the few times I've had a chance to chat with other Wackos I know I'd really enjoy the renunion.

Donna

Re: Which Light is next to the Tappan Zee bridge ? #65668 02/27/00 01:45 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I thought of wearing my badge, but not until after I had left home. I also did not think about how I was going to answer the questio Where did you get that shirt? I found it thru a post on this site, but I can't recall just where. I believe that it was a site for an artist out of California. He painted LH's, Covered Bridges, Tranis and other subjects and then transferred the image to t shirts, etc. He died sometime in late summer early fall 99. The information was posted on the forum and I saw it and went to the website and placed an order for the Tarytown and Portland Head. I've got a collection of t shirts from many of the lights I have been to. They are often a conversation starter. I was asked numerous times yesterday about thr Tarrytown shirt. I also did not get as many pictures as i might have. i spent a good amount of time tlaking o Donna and other LH visitors. The individuals from the Hudson River group and the Westchester Co Parks were very helpful and informative. I had been to Tarytown in June 99, but could not get very close due to the gate being locked. I had been watching the calender of events for the parks for a chance to get into the LH. I did a twofer on Sat- the IMAX theater in Nyack was showing Fantasia 2000 so my wife, daughter and I went to see it and my wife and I continued on to the LH. We got so engrossed in conversation that we were the last ones to leave except for the workers and an individual doing a stoy on the Hudson River as it enters the new millenium. In fact, i missed a picture of the LH with the light on by about 2 seconds. They closed up shop as soon as we walked out on the bridge. In retrospect, i probably paid more attention to talking to people then exploring the LH and taking pictures. That's ok, I can get back to the LH again it's not that far.It's nice to put a face to someone you have conversed with- even if it was not directly. I hope to meet more Wackos on my further LH adventures. Mybe I'll run into some in CA or on the Delaware Bay trip in July. Dennis Here is the website for Westchester Co Parks http://www.westchestergov.com/calendar/parksorgcalquery.asp

[This message has been edited by wheland (edited 02-27-2000).]

Re: Which Light is next to the Tappan Zee bridge ? #65669 02/27/00 03:11 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the link. Looks like there are three additional opportunities to visit Tarrytown Lighthouse:

Quote:
3/11/00
Westchester County Parks Dept.
VISIT TO THE TARRYTOWN LIGHTHOUSE
Details: Tour of the historic lighthouse. Co-sponsored by the Hudson River Foundation. Meet in the parking lot.

Hours: Saturday 2 p.m.

Cost:

Palmer Avenue

Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591
Additional Information: (914) 242-PARK
Accessability: P

-------

4/2/00
SPRING COMES TO THE TARRYTOWN LIGHTHOUSE
Details: Tour of the Tarrytown Lighthouse. Co-sponsored by the Hudson River Foundation. Meet in the parking lot.

Hours: Sunday 2 p.m.

Cost:

Palmer Avenue

Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591

--------

5/14/00
VISIT TO THE TARRYTOWN LIGHTHOUSE
Details: Co-sponsored by the Hudson River Foundation. Meet in the parking lot.

Hours: Sunday 2 p.m.

Cost:

Palmer Avenue

Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users