Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
East Quoddy #67252 03/17/09 06:59 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Alright...I've gotten to the point of my trip where I got bored of planning, and decided to "go with the flow." I really don't know what I'm doing after I leave Bar Harbor tomorrow, except that I'll be spending the next night in Lubec. Then I realised that a pivotal point, in both the lighthousing and return home parts of the trip, is the walk to East Quoddy, a not-to-miss part of the trip.

Extreme low tide on 19 March is at 1:06 PM. I'm staying in Lubec (Quoddy Head Station, a former USCG station), so it's just a quick jump across the border. (Yes, I have my passport.)

The question is...what's the journey like? How long is it? What time should I be at the trailhead to make the tides? How long a window do I have?

This is the last of the "Grail Lights" for this trip, so I want to make sure I get it in. I know a bunch of CFers have done the trip, so any advice is very, very welcome. smile

Re: East Quoddy #67253 03/17/09 07:37 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
There is plenty to shoot before you walk over to the light, so if you get there before the water recedes to walk across it's not a problem. It's better to be early that late in other words.. Drive back to the point maybe 3 hours before low tide and you should have a short wait and at most a 3 or 4 hour window to walk over and back.. If you plan to go all the way to the light boots and a walking stick for balance will be helpful as the rocks that were just under water are slick, very slick..

Don't forget to look up as there are Eagles living in the area!

Sue and I have stayed at the Owen House the last three times we have been to Campobello Island.. Joyce Morrell who is a terrific artist owns the Owen House and is the driving force behind all of the restoration going on at East Quoddy..

Owen House Website

If you have the time it would be worth your while to visit the Owen House..

You will drive right by the Roosevelt cottage, which is probably not open this time of year but worth seeing..

Campobello Island Official Website

This is my favorite lighthouse to visit. I have been 5 times and I hope to see it at least one more time. I think part of the reason is that it is at the end of the earth and the trip to and from the Island is awesome, also!!

Don't speed on the Island, you get to use the other numbers on your speedometer, you are in Canada!!

Campobello Island is in the Atlantic Time Zone..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: East Quoddy #67254 03/18/09 12:18 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
When several of us stayed on in Maine after the Portland regional, we spent a night at the Old CG Station. While nothing fancy, the rooms were very spacious and nice. Great location just down the road from West Quoddy light.

We had some very enjoyable meals at a little place in town. Believe this was the place:

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,213 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users