cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
St. George helicopter ride pics Part 2 #60868 03/25/05 05:04 PM
RFoster Offline OP
OP Offline
This thread is a continuation from the pictures located here: helicopter ride pics Part 1

Guy Towers explains to Bob & Jeanne how the wooden floors and wainscoting were rotten due to 25 years of neglect. The group plans to replace all of the wood and install bunks to their original condition:

The lens in the lantern room is dedicated to Colleen Williamson. The lens is now dark since the USCG pulled the permit following several days of non-functioning due to an electrical glitch. The group must re-apply for a permit:

Guy Towers explains some of the challenges the group had in getting the new lantern room installed. That’s our “Pixie” with the camera:

From the walkway at the top of the tower I watched as the helicopter prepared to ferry more people back to shore:

The rocks below the base are littered with sea lions and the whales were dancing around in the water:

The kitchen needs work but it is useable (and probably not much different from when the USCG vacated the property in 1971:

A USCG insignia still shows through the rust on one of the large steel doors that opens out to the derrick. I’m sure these doors were spotless when the keepers & coasties lived there:

Part 3 continues here: St. George Reef helicopter ride pics Part 3

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: St. George helicopter ride pics Part 2 #60869 03/26/05 08:35 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm still amazed by these photos. This restoration is going to be quite a project.

eek Bob eek

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,153 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users