cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lake Ontario Lights - Part 4 #67172 04/13/04 05:37 PM
Shirin Offline OP
OP Offline
After the lights in Sodus, Liz and I turned back towards our final lighthouse destination of the weekend, the Selkirk lighthouse which was our lodging for Friday night. Is there a better way to end a Good Friday than by staying overnight in a lighthouse?

I'm sure our smiles in the photo above are an indication that it really was a Good Friday! This is just one of the 3 bedrooms on the second floor that we could stay in. There is 1 bedroom on the first floor as well. I'll post more interior shots if you all would like. If most people would wish to see the inside in person, then I'll leave those shots out. I wouldn't want to ruin your possible stay at this light by spoiling it with photos of everything.

Here are some additional photso from our stay.

The next morning

A view out of the lantern

Stairs leading to the itsy bitsy lantern area.

Saturday we visited Howes Caverns and the North Blenheim Covered Bridge before heading back to Connecticut. It was a busy and long weekend!

Shirin
Re: Lake Ontario Lights - Part 4 #67173 04/13/04 08:58 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for sharing all your photos Shirin. You are one busy girl. smile

How many people can stay the night at Selkirk? Do you get the full run of the lighthouse when you reserve to stay there?

Re: Lake Ontario Lights - Part 4 #67174 04/13/04 09:38 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great shots... cool It does look like is was a more than "Good Friday" for the two of you.
Ruthie smile

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Lake Ontario Lights - Part 4 #67175 04/13/04 09:38 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Very nice photos Shirin. You two did very well to see all that you saw. I just counted the lights up twice and got 13 each time. When you were at Ogdensburg you should also have been able to the the two lights at Prescott. They are directly across the river from where you were standing. The harbor light is white and green, the Rotary light is white and red.

Shame on me for not checking your schedule! Jakers and I could have stopped to see you two at Selkirk on our way back from our jaunt on Friday. I've seen the interior but he hasn't. frown

Re: Lake Ontario Lights - Part 4 #67176 04/13/04 10:38 PM
eskilady Offline
I recognize the bedroom in Selkirk that you showed - I think that Beaconfollower stayed in that same bedroom when we spent the night there. I stayed in the bedroom downstairs and my daughter was in the room next to the one you stayed in. We decided to dirty more than one room. Wasn't it beautiful inside? We had a great time there.

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: Lake Ontario Lights - Part 4 #67177 04/14/04 10:30 AM
Shirin Offline OP
OP Offline
You're right Sue, we did see the other two lights across the river while at Ogdensburg. They looked a little fake so we didn't count them. Guess we'll have to add them back into the count. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to tell Liz that to add to her total.

Lorie, there is plenty of room in the light for people. The downstairs bedroom is a double, there are 3 rooms upstairs with 2 bunkbeds like the one in my photo above and another double bed. And there is a couch downstairs that is pretty comfy and long enough for someone to sleep on. And yes, you get the entire light for your party. The only bad side to staying there is the sulfur in the water. It is more than obvious the minute you walk in the door. As long as you are not alergic to it, you should be fine. Just bring some nice smelling shampoo or soap to cover the smell. Also I would suggest bottled water for brushing your teeth!

Shirin
Re: Lake Ontario Lights - Part 4 #67178 04/14/04 02:10 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Shirin, the Prescott harbor light is a working light. The other one is a faux light built to accomodate a very large lens donated by the CCG. It also serves as a tourist info center. You can climb up to see the lens.

Sulfur at Selkirk, huh? Well I have it in my water too. They must be on well water. Sometimes it's more noticable than others. A water conditioner helps some, we put it through a Britta for drinking. I most notice it after I come home from somewhere else!

Re: Lake Ontario Lights - Part 4 #67179 04/16/04 11:44 PM
RFoster Offline
Shirin, I just finished you tour via the multiple posts and enjoyed every part. I hope to get up to this area of the country to do some lighthousing before I'm too old to enjoy the trip. Thank you so much for taking us along by sharing your images and experience.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Lake Ontario Lights - Part 4 #67180 04/16/04 11:55 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Great photos, Shirin! Now I REALLY want to stay in a lighthouse!!! It looks like fun...did you carry buckets full of 26 pounds worth of barbells up the stairs to replicate the true keeper experience? wink

And Ron...like someone once said (someone being me), "You're never too old to lighthouse!" laugh

Re: Lake Ontario Lights - Part 4 #67181 04/17/04 12:30 AM
Shirin Offline OP
OP Offline
Well Ron, perhaps we'll just have to make a special NELL trip out of it!

And no Greg, no barbells to simulate the job of a true keeper. We opted for cameras to carry up to the lantern instead.

Shirin

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users