cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hudson-Athens and Saugerties Trip #63040 07/13/03 10:20 AM
Shirin Offline OP
OP Offline
Had a nice day trip up the Hudson yesterday with fellow NELL members Eileen and her daughter Kaitlyn. We met at the Sam's Club in Fishkill, NY and from there we went north to our first stop at Athens, NY to take a tour of the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse. Our first stop though was lunch though. We found a deli in Athens and grabbed some sandwiches. When I saw they had a sandwich called the Lighthouse I of course had to try it. Not bad! Parking in Athens was a bit difficult due to their 29th Annual Street Festival yesterday. We had to drive around a bit for a spot but found one not too far from where the boat left to take you out to the lighthouse.

This was the first visit to this light for Eileen and Kaitlyn. They loved the short boat ride out to the light. And for me, it was nice to see the light again after 3 years. The new information panels in the rooms were a great addition. It was a great day to visit. Beautiful blue skies with nice puffy clouds and the temperature was just right - not too cold, not too hot. After our visit at the lighthouse we of course had to get our fix of Hudson-Athens lighthouse patches, pins, keychains and shirts. We also walked around a bit to check out the street festival.

From there we didn't have any further plans so we started to head on home. However, once we saw the road signs for Saugerties we Eileen and I both thought, hey why not stop? Neither of us had been inside of the lighthouse before so we thought we'd take the chance while we could. After taking a few wrong turns in Saugerties we finally found the lighthouse. Along the trail we kept busy shooting photos of the flowers and the sceenery along the way.

Finally we came upon the lighthouse and got our own little tour of the house. I think Eileen and I are ready to sign up for weekend stay out there we loved it so much! And again, more lighthouse pins after the tour was over.

While out behind the lighthouse the local police boat came up and gave all the kids visiting their own Sheriff's badge. Kaitlyn was really into that now that she is a junior deputy of Saugerties. Our last stop was a diner just before we got back on the highway to go home.

Shirin
Re: Hudson-Athens and Saugerties Trip #63041 07/13/03 11:13 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Shirin...I enjoyed that so much!

Your photographs are wonderful...as always, and the commentary, along with the pictures gives me a chance to share in your lighthousing adventures from miles away!

You know...I really like the folliage & wildflowers as a frame for the lighthouse...NICE JOB!!

Thank you for sharing!

Judy smile

Judy
Re: Hudson-Athens and Saugerties Trip #63042 07/13/03 11:28 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks, Shirin. When one lives hundreds of miles from the closest lighthouse, I really enjoy these 'trips' that take us along.

I visited Saugerties a number of years ago -- before it was opened as a place to stay. I remember the tide was in and to walk the path out to the lighthouse, I had to get my shoes wet. All part of the adventure, though.

Re: Hudson-Athens and Saugerties Trip #63043 07/13/03 01:27 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great Pictures, Shirin!! Hudson-Athens is one of my favorites that I have yet to visit!

Jim
Re: Hudson-Athens and Saugerties Trip #63044 07/15/03 12:54 AM
buster Offline
Great picture, smile Shirin

Member of NELL/AFL/OBLHS/FPHL

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 821 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users