Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Extra Purchases? #317 06/13/99 03:28 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Do any of you Harbour Lighters purchase more than one of a unit? I am purchasing an extra Sea Girt for my Granddaoughter in Oklahoma> Named my white duck after that lighthouse and I have a picture of her holding my Duck. She likes it best. Duck has since become a meal for someone living on Deep Creek. Can you imagine someone eating your pet. Mombo, how about if someone ate one of your 5 cats? Would that upset you? I brought Girty 3 mates and each disappeared wihout a trace, Non Sea Girt is gone. I still have 2 white geese, "Grey Goose" and "Snow White" and a wounded Canada. I also have a gaggle of 18 Canadas including 7 babies. Think I'll name them after lighthouses.

Anyway, back to the topis. Why, except for making money, would you buy more than 1 of a HL limited piece.

Moby of Tidewater Virginia

Moby
Re: Extra Purchases? #318 06/13/99 05:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Moby,

Seems giving the extra one away would be the only reason for being two of one kind, except if you felt like it would resale a while longer so you could make extra money to buy another HL that you didn't have.

Derith

Re: Extra Purchases? #319 06/13/99 09:56 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Gerith,

Who would you give one to and why?

Moby

Moby
Re: Extra Purchases? #320 06/14/99 12:18 AM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
We have a few extra ones from when we were hot on the trail of lower numbers. Don't ask why. That was in the beginning and have sold most of them although we still have a few left. We were able to trade for a NPL and Mini which was quite nice since we were not able to attend the reunion - not many trades were available for the NPL. We felt quite lucky and hope the person we traded with felt lucky to get the ones he wanted.

Kathy

[This message has been edited by Al and Kathy (edited 06-13-99).]

Re: Extra Purchases? #321 06/15/99 05:24 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Moby: While they may not be participants in the forum (or if they are they may not fess up)I have the feeling that some collectors are also speculators and may be buying multiple HL's of some models at least.

When the cats misbehave I threaten to take em down to the local Chinese restaurant!

Re: Extra Purchases? #322 06/15/99 11:59 PM
RRohweder Offline
OK, I admit to speculating. I have only "purchased" one extra; that being a Gray's Harbor variation. I also have an extra Sandy Hook #104 that was a gift from HL for the certificate I got. Ooops, I also bought a Highland (no "s").

I'm not planning to sell them if I can trade for something I don't already have. Only time will tell.

Rich

------------------

Re: Extra Purchases? #323 06/16/99 02:31 AM
drwhok9 Offline
I do not collect multiple lighthouses but I do misbehave in other ways. Does this mean I get a Chinese dinner? I do so like Chinese food.

Jim

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: Extra Purchases? #324 06/16/99 06:05 AM
T
TGIFIF Offline
T
I bought several lighthouse duplicates. 1 for me & 1 for my step mother. Then she & Dad divorced before enough ocations came up to give them all to her. So now I guess I should sell them...

Re: Extra Purchases? #325 06/17/99 02:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK Mombo - we'll fess up.

We have purchased a number of duplicates (when we got great prices on them) over the years and have made some great trades because we had some extras of the older retired pieces to trade with without disturbing our personal collection.

If you had a little extra money alloted to mad money at the time and came across three #145 Assateagues at 20% off original retail, what would you do?

If we told you what we got in trade for two of the first Barnegat GLOWS, you wouldn't believe me. And the trade came from a major dealer. It was his idea. Are you out there? Do you remember? Actually buying the six GLOWS has ultimately made us quite a bit of money and gotten us some great pieces.

And our trade for the first NPL brought us a secondary value at the time of about $1,400. And that was a trade with another major dealer. We figured he knew what he was doing. He seemed happy and we certainly weren't displeased.

We have also made some fairly decent money from some of the extras on eBay.

Does this diminish our love of our personal collection of HL's, not at all. And it has been great fun seeing some of the new folks who are collectors get some of these older pieces that are harder to find.

This may sound terrible to some of you, but we consider our extras as trading pieces and money makers. The extras are safely tucked away in their boxes and will come out when we feel the time is right. From time to time you will see us on eBay with a few more of the extras we still have. Just look for the Lightkeepers.

We do so love Chinese food also.

[This message has been edited by Michael and Karen Power (edited 06-17-99).]

Re: Extra Purchases? #326 06/17/99 09:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ya'll let me know what you will take in trade for a Coquille and original Hatteras, ya hear!

Derith

Re: Extra Purchases? #327 06/17/99 11:24 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
As a fairly new collector, I am so grateful to those collectors who bought extra pieces to sell at a later date. If not for them, I might not have some of the pieces that I have now. Who would sell their only Jupiter or Fire Island?

Re: Extra Purchases? #328 06/25/99 09:05 PM
FrankB Offline
I ordered 2 of the Panama Canal sets. Friends of mine took a cruise through the canal this past summer and gave me copies of the pictures of lighthouses that they took. This is more than I would normally spend on a Christmas present for someone outside my family, so I will probably sell the one to the husband so he can give it to his wife as a present (he won't know it's part of a set of 2) and then I'll give the other one to the 2 of them as a Christmas present from me.

FrankB
Re: Extra Purchases? #329 07/15/99 06:00 PM
D
dodad Offline
D
I am new to the Forum but not to HL collecting. Been collecting since 1994 and focusing on the East coast. I purchased extra Sanibel Fla for resale or trade for those that I do not have like Hilton Head or Ponce De Leon. As collectors we have to do what we have to do to get our collection complete, right? In the beginning I purchased the Southwest along with Alcatraz and Diamond Head, but found that I needed to be more realistic and focus on the East coast since I am from North Carolina and these have more meaning to me.

Re: Extra Purchases? #330 07/15/99 07:03 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome DoDad - glad you joined the ranks of those posting in the Forums.

I know of several collectors who bought an extra along the way and used it to trade for something they didn't have. It's a good plan that usually works -- so long as the 'extra' you buy is truly near the end of the "still available at retail" cycle when you buy it.

Again, welcome...

Re: Extra Purchases? #331 07/15/99 09:40 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome Dodad,

It's always good to see a new face around here. But when it's a fellow Tar Heel, that's a whole lot better! I see from your profile, that your from Greensboro. I work out near the airport and live in Eden.
Maybe we will run into each other at one of the dealers in town. Take Care.

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 07-15-99).]

Eric
Re: Extra Purchases? #332 07/22/99 01:13 AM
N
Noelle Offline
N
About 2 years ago I saw a picure in a catalog of a Cape Hatteras. It was listed in the catalog at 50% off, the longer I looked at the picture, I knew it was an HL.
I called the catalog and asked them if it was. It was after hours so the man on the phone told me to call back the next day and ask for a sales rep. I couldn't wait that long, I knew it was, so I dug out all my old HL brochures, and there it was. I immediately called the catalog back and asked how many they had. They told me they had 50. I discussed it with my husband, and we ordered 10 @ $25 a piece.
They were in fact HL 102r. I did not get them to make any money, what I did get them for was to trade for the pieces that I could not afford, since I did not start collecting until 1995 seriously. Now I have all of the retired HLs, and was able to sell 1 to pay off a credit card that I had bought alot of HLs on.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,669 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users