Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Harbour Lights that do not sell #17391 01/05/08 02:59 AM
O
Oliver72 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I have noticed that there are a few dealers here on this forum. I have purchased Harbour Lights form different sources. Where I am located, one chain of Halmark sells Light houses at their various stores. I asked one store owner about the displays of their products. I was told that when you become a Harbour lights Distributor that the store is suppose to have a certain amount of display room for Harbour Lights. I have been to some stores who don't even have them locked in a display case. They also have Harbour Lights displayed with other manufactures of light houses. When I do see a light house which catches my eye in one of the stores which don't have them behind a lock and key, I make a special effort to check over the whole piece to make sure that they are not chipped, etc. I have spoken to some of these people who don't lock them up and most of the time it is just a clerk who works at the store and dosen't know why they are not kept behind glass or doesn't even know what a Harbour Lights is vs. any of the others on display. well I don't frequent those stores anymore. One store that I go to is located in downtown Annapolis, Maryland. It's over 50 miles from where I live, but it is worth the trip. They have been getting a lot of retired peices in over the past two years that I have been going there. They have a very large display behind glass and locked. If you are familiar with Downtown Annapolis, this place is located on a body of water known as "EGO ALLEY". During the boating season, people bring there 10 ' to 30+ foot boats or yahts up this narrow inlet which comes into downtown to show off there crafts. They come in manuver the tight turn and head back out into the Cheseapeake bay. That is why it got the name Ego Alley, just so that folks can show off there vessels. Living in Southern Maryland I am located between the Potomac River on the Westside of the County and the Patuxtent River on the East. Both run into the Chesapeake bay.

Re: Harbour Lights that do not sell #17392 01/05/08 03:16 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Oliver,

You can also try listing what you're interested in purchasing in another section of this site--"Trading Post", as well as checking it to see what people are selling. Many of the CF members have duplicates of pieces, especially the retired pieces and will work with you on pricing. I don't know the parameters of displaying Harbour Lights pieces, but I do know that I've picked up a couple of real steals at gift shops that aren't necessarily exclusive Harbour Lights dealers.

You've joined a great group of HL lovers. Welcome to the Forums. If we don't know the answer to a question you might have, we can certainly direct you to someone who does.

Sandy

Re: Harbour Lights that do not sell #17393 01/05/08 03:59 PM
beachcomber Offline
Oliver, as you must know, you have great opportunities to see lighthouses in that area. In fact, HL had one of its reunions in Maryland in 2001. John, the CF webmaster, put together some great road trips for collectors to visit lights on land. The reunion itself had boat trips that took us out to see the ones in the water. Have you participated in the Lighthouse Challenge?

I've learned a great deal from everyone on the CF's. If you continue to be an active member, you'll find that there is a lot of sharing of experiences, knowledge of HL products and great pictures to view! smile

beachcomber
Re: Harbour Lights that do not sell #17394 01/06/08 10:26 PM
O
Oliver72 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Beachcomber,
Being fairly new to this forum, I am jsut learning as much as I can about the HL and different events around the region. I know that out of the city docks of Annapolis that they do take boat tours out to a few of the lighthouses close by. I saw on Maryland public TV this past summer where they have trips to alot of the lighthouse located on the chesapeake bay. I have to do some more research on this and see about going on that crusie. Of course Cove Point and Drum Point are both less than 1 hour drive from where I live. I have already visited both. Drum Point was really neat. but the day we went was very hot. Hopefully when it was out in the water and manned, it didn,t get that sweltering hot for the keeper and his family.
Oliver

Re: Harbour Lights that do not sell #17395 01/06/08 11:33 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Oliver, you should look into joining the Chesapeake Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society . They are a great group of people who not only do a fair amount of preservation work, but also have some great trips each year. Great website that will help you with lots of information. From the Annapolis area you can now take periodic trips out to visit Thomas Point Light. There is a link on the above page to the Thomas Point site. There are also some tours of Chesapeake Bay lights that the Chapter folks might be able to steer you towards.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,337 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users