Print Thread
Kudos for Keepers #3335 12/01/98 12:36 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
As some of you may recall from my postings over the last few years, both here and on the old AOL board, I've regularly called for secondary market dealers to post prices in their advertisements. While possibly helpful to the dealer in the short run, imo closed pricing is anti-competitive, can give the appearance of price fixing, and is ultimately injurious to the hobby - particularly to the newer collector.

As much as I've ranted on the topic I now stand and applaud Warren Diamond and Lighthouse Keepers for adopting an open pricing policy in their newly re-opened cyberstore. Thank you, and congratulations Warren. I wish you best success in your services to the HL collecting community.

Rgds,
__
/im

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 11-30-98).]

Re: Kudos for Keepers #3336 12/01/98 05:30 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I also would like to say thank you to Warren and "Lighthouse Keepers". It is very refreshing to see the prices posted with the piece. I wish the best of luck to you and look forward to doing business with you once again!

-Todd

Re: Kudos for Keepers #3337 12/01/98 06:13 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Dittos to the above. The inclusion of serial numbers is also a very nice touch for those "picky" collectors like myself. Good luck once again, Warren.

-RodW

Re: Kudos for Keepers #3338 12/02/98 11:00 AM
R
Rich Boyes Offline
R
I agree that open posting of prices by secondary dealers should be applauded and encouraged. Established dealers generally have a realistic view of what the market will pay for a piece and price their inventory accordingly. Individual sellers can always ask more or less for their own reasons and take their own chances. Many collectors will pay a reasonable premium for the security provided by a reputable dealer.

Re: Kudos for Keepers #3339 12/02/98 04:27 PM
L
Lightsout Offline
L
Personally I thought all the surcharges were a bit much, who doesn't want the lowest numbered piece available and why would I pay more to choose a higher numbered piece (2000 vs 200) unless there is a variation.

Re: Kudos for Keepers #3340 12/02/98 05:46 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
>...I thought all the surcharges were a bit much, who doesn't want the lowest numbered piece available<

Many people pay a higher premium for lowered numbered pieces (including myself many times over), just watch e-bay results for a month or 2. Low numbered pieces of the same sculpture sell much quicker and at a higher price very consistantly. I don't have a problem with paying more for a low numbered piece, if you happen to structure your collection that way. It may not be a valid phenomenon in some collector's minds, but thats the way the market has been for some time. Those who are not concerned with collecting low serial numbers can usually get the best prices then...everyones happy.

>...and why would I pay more to choose a higher numbered piece (2000 vs 200) unless there is a variation.<

I don't quite understand the logic, if you want a higher number don't say anything, you'll probably get it anyways at no extra cost. Why would you want a *specific* high number anyways. I don't think I have ever seen that approach before, usually the other way around. Just curious, clarification?

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-02-98).]

Re: Kudos for Keepers #3341 12/02/98 06:25 PM
W
Warren Diamond Offline
W
Thanks for the (mostly) positive feedback.

We've wrestled with open pricing for a year, and decided to do it.

Sure, it's easy for a seller to then undercut Lighthouse Keepers' prices, but that's almost true no matter what anyway. We always provided prices by phone or email and I'm sure many of those were to help a seller figure out what to charge.

The 'surcharges' for credit card use and selection of a specific number and for phone orders rather than on-line orders mean buyers have choices. Low serial numbers are usually shown in the "Special Pieces" section. But by making it easier for Lighthouse Keepers to process an order - allowing me to pick the first piece in the storeroom without looking for a specific one or to process an emailed order rather than take 15 minutes on the phone, I save time and time is money. Why not pass that savings on to the buyer. Every piece sent out is still carefully inspected. Every piece is still covered by a money-back-guarantee.

Rod Watson mentioned that some collectors like lower serial numbers.

In the early year pieces, especially, the higher numbered pieces generally are cleaner and more pleasing to the eye in coloration.

Thanks again for the feedback. We welcome it.

Warren Diamond
WDiamond@LighthouseKeepers.com

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,505 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users