Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How bout the BOW WOW list #9055 11/11/98 05:41 PM
Kaiz Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
We have the WOW list - how about the DOGS!

All in good fun, this isn't meant to tempt the "Harbour Lights" god, but all lumps of coal aren't meant to become DIAMONDS.
Big #1 - North Head
The rest in no particular order:
Michigan City
Ida Lewis
Toledo Harbor
Cape Blanco
Pretty small list. Let's hear what others think.

[This message has been edited by Kaiz (edited 11-11-98).]

[This message has been edited by Kaiz (edited 11-12-98).]

Re: How bout the BOW WOW list #9056 11/11/98 07:57 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Poor North Head is so grossly inaccurate its almost not fair to judge it. It took 2,152 days to retire (thats almost 6 years). Cape Blanco is also a barker - the last pieces lingering at HL for 2101 days.

St. George's Reef, though spectacular in real life, took 2002 days for the final piece to depart.

I'll take hardy exception to a couple others. Michigan City has a simple elegance to it - though I'll confess I enjoy this model much more since I visited the light. (age of 1604 days at retirement) Toldeo Harbor is interesting architecturally and the model represents its light well. (Now on the market for 863 days.)

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: How bout the BOW WOW list #9057 11/14/98 10:05 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
When I first started collecting, about 14 months ago, I didn't like the looks of the older pieces. The fact that the newer pieces are much better is no secret. Now I'm trying to get them all even though I don't like the looks of some of the earlier pieces. I just purchased Cape Blanco this week. I still know where there are at least 3 of them. Grosse Point is still available at retail at an area dealer. It isn't a pretty piece. But, I'll probably buy it to fill in that empty spot. I saw 2 Michigan City pieces at one area dealer about 9 months ago. They didn't do anything for me. Now, if they still have one I'll probably buy it. North Head and Umpqua River were available in the area till recently. I bought Umpqua and just missed North Head. So now I'll have to hunt that one down just so I can fill in that empty spot in my collection. The pieces listed above just don't compare to the quality and detail of the current Harbour Light products. I will own them but I won't enjoy them as much as I do the newer pieces.

Re: How bout the BOW WOW list #9058 11/25/98 01:36 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
In defense of my home state of Oregon:

I like Cape Blanco and Umpqua River...Umpqua is fairly accurate and pretty hefty considering it was one of the first pieces...and I happen to think my triple-digit Canadian Cape Blanco is gorgeous...now tops on the Bowser List:

North Head IS ugly...looks more like a partially melted candle and not a lighthouse and is highly deserving of a remake, perhaps as their new logo?

Yaquina Head begs to be recreated as well with its proper red-roofed keeper's quarters, but I won't hold my breath as the LE didn't sell well at all...

Ft. Niagara, Great Captain, Sand Island, even West Quoddy Head...WOOF, 'nuff said...of course, this doesn't mean I don't own all 4 and don't take pride in dusting them!

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 808 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users