Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1995 Brochure #18980 12/09/06 08:27 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
[I've transferred my question from the Collector's Guide discussion to a separate category, lest it gets shifted to the dusty recesses of time.] smile

May I add my figurative standing ovation for the Collector's Guide? I may? Okay...it's great! And, more particularly, all the hard work DOESN'T SHOW, which is to say that the whole thing looks, reads and flows effortlessly---a real accomplishment. Profuse compliments, then.

Now, I have a puzzlement, and perhaps someone can point out to me what I can't seem to locate in the Guide. I know that it MUST be there, and that I just must be overlooking it. I don't, however, find it listed in the Brochure Checklist where it ought to occur.

I can hardly believe that I am the only critter to possess two copies of a gatefold brochure that was done in the first part of 1995? It preceded the brochure with the sunset and the lighthouse. The backgrounds of all the pages are photos done by Bruce Roberts, most of which occurred throughout his first editions of the regional lighthouse books. The central images on each page face are the interior of a lens and a tower staircase [I can't take time to unearth all the books to identify them now]. Flanking these images on each page are more specific lighthouse images: a silhouette of Big Sable [perhaps?] and Portland Head on the two outer faces; Boliver on another; Grosse Point and Jupiter Inlet on the inner spread; and Pigeon Point on the last. The brochure lists and shows all the products up through HL153 [Round Island], as well as HL 401 [first Hatteras GLOW], HL 501 [Pt. Fermin Society Piece], and HL 601 [Legacy Lighthouse]. Both HL 102 Hatteras and HL 102R Hatteras are shown and marked as retired, and the HL 401 Hatteras is introduced as the first in the new open editions. HL 111 [Coquille] is also shown, and marked as retired. Also shown as retired are Portland Head, Ponce de Leon, St. Simons, Hilton Head, St. Augustine, Barnegat, Southeast Block Island, West Quoddy Head, Burrow Island, and Admiralty Head. The copyright date is given as 1995, Younger & Associates. Inasmuch as I got my first copy of the brochure in Bandon, OR, during the summer of 1995 and my second copy in Wichita, KS, in September 1995, I have to assume that there was a full distribution of them. It was this brochure that figured in my being "captured" by Harbour Lights, which is why I have treasured my copies of it.

I remember that the brochure with the sunset and lighthouse, listing up through HL 162 [Brant Point], 401, 403, 404, and the Stamps Series listed as 410, 411, 412, 413, 414; and HL 501, 601, and 700, followed later in the year.

Now, please tell me where in the Guide this brochure is described, so I can set my mind to rest. I have to believe that it is there, and that I keep overlooking it!

Thanks!

Danny

Re: 1995 Brochure #18981 12/10/06 12:35 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the standing ovation. And the compliment on look, feel and flow.

It's NOT going to be flawless. My copies of the HL brochures and various publications are packed away in unmarked boxes. If you could post a reduced size scan of the 1995 brochure you are referring to, it would help jog my memory.

Sharp-eyed readers will note that some brochures were used in more than one place. Not necessarily intentional, but it was too late in the production process to remove duplicates.

If there's going to be a second edition somewhere down the road, it will definitely benefit from you and others pointing out the flaws and suggesting additional content.

I keep running across more HL items given away at trade shows, collector shows and events -- such as mugs from Anaheim and Chicago in 2001. I wonder if other regionals also got customized versions of these mugs?

Re: 1995 Brochure #18982 12/10/06 06:23 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
There's no intent, here, to isolate and point out so-called, not very accurately named "flaws" in such a masterful publication. It only stands to reason that something, if ever so small, is going to slip through when you're covering a span of 15 years of history. The main thing is that, if I happen to have a hitherto unknown item, I want to make sure that you'll have it available for your ongoing history to share with others.

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner, nor access to one. If you can provide an address, I can send a color photocopy of the entire brochure to you.

Danny

Re: 1995 Brochure #18983 12/10/06 08:10 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I have both of the 95 brochures.
I will try and scan it tomorrow at work. Busy schedule, so I may not get to it until the end of the week.
John I doubt that you have that one. I know it was never listed with all the brochures in the Harbour light web site, so I assume you don’t have one. I am positive I emailed you that I had one for your book.
Well things were so crazy then. Who knows?
Most collectors do not realize that there was two of them in 95 and probably would have gone unnoticed if it wasn’t for Danny.

Danny
The early 95 brochure is my favorite too.

DANIEL
Re: 1995 Brochure #18984 12/10/06 08:59 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Danny, don't take me wrong. I didn't take it as a criticism. Just saying it's not perfect. Maybe next time.

Re: 1995 Brochure #18985 12/11/06 08:17 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Daniel,

Thanks for facilitating the copy of the brochure. If it really is a "new" one to John, who knows...maybe it will become a favorite of his, too. To me, it seems to catch Harbour Lights at just the right, heady moment in their development and in our collective discovery. It was early enough in the game that one could want them all and have the reasonable expectation of acquiring them...and displaying them. That was before the releases were becoming waaaay too many per year, and before it became clear that the GLOW editions were going to pour forth in the numbers that they did. Also, the pieces still had a certain novelty to them. Finally, alas, I have to remember that I was 15 years younger, then, and was entertaining a different outlook on life in general.

By way of an interesting note: when Nancy Younger was here for an event just a few years back, I had mounted a color photocopy of the entire brochure [in question] on foam board to show the earlier releases to the newer collectors. Nancy looked and looked at the brochure as though she had never seen it and asked me where I had gotten it. I offered to make a color copy for the Company's files, but she wanted to check their archives, first. She never got back to me about it. If there were an "official" archive somewhere, I might turn loose of one of my copies for that.

John...I just wanted to be certain that you didn't misinterpret my observations as a critique. All masterworks, when dissected and picked to pieces, can be found to have alleged "flaws." I was just eager to share the brochure that I [and Daniel, too] most cherish.

Danny

Re: 1995 Brochure #18986 12/11/06 11:58 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I had parts of the brochure scaned for me at work and forgot to ask for a jpeg and got a PDF instead.
I don't know how to post a PDF and not sure if it can even posted.
I did send it to John for his review and for him to post it if it can be done. We have software at work that can change a PDF into a jpeg and I can probally get that done tomorrow if John dosn't get to it today.

DANIEL
Re: 1995 Brochure #18987 12/12/06 12:33 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Let's see if these links work:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Looks like the first two got cut off at the bottom.

This brochure does look like another; but I'm sure I haven't seen this exact one before.

Re: 1995 Brochure #18988 12/12/06 01:05 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks John for posting it.
It works for me but it flutters allot until it finally comes up.

I just had half of it scaned. With it spead out it is almost 2 ft long.

DANIEL
Re: 1995 Brochure #18989 12/12/06 08:13 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
John,

Would you still like for me to send you a complete color photocopy of the brochure? It would be on 11 x 17 sheets, which I could roll in a tube.

Danny

Re: 1995 Brochure #18990 12/12/06 10:40 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the offer, Danny. I'll email you my address.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users