Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4914 10/26/05 04:42 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
The Cape Romain, SC I purchased from eBay came today. It came in the dark blue Collector's Society box, the box sticker reads:
CAPE ROMAIN
South Carolina
Harbour Lights
Exclusively for
Younger & Associates
Bar Code
There is no indication on HL's site that this piece was a Collector's Society piece. The styrofoam insert fits both the lighthouse and the box it was shipped in.
Anybody have information to help me understand what gives with this piece?
Thanks,
Sandy

Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4915 10/26/05 04:59 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
No
The Cape Romain was not a Society Piece.
I do remember limited edition lighthouses coming in the society colored box back then.
I believe my 66 Cape Romain did come in the Society box.

DANIEL
Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4916 10/26/05 07:14 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
There were a couple of lighthouses that were completed on time for release but the box wasn't done yet so the factory used some extra Society boxes which was the same size.. I would imagine they probably switch over to the light blue box either when they ran out of extra dark blue or when the light blue ones were ready to go.. It was like when they used blue AB felt on the start of the American Shoal lights production until the green felt arrived..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4917 10/26/05 07:35 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
So does the box now belong in the "collectibles" section? The more involved I get with this "hobby," the more certain I am that this is most definitely a frick and frack operation. I've even begun displaying the mistakes in a curio cabinet entitled "Mistakes" because there are so many. I'm waiting for my dealer to get me a Rondout II, NY with the correct 1913 tower date so I can put the 1919 tower in with the other mistakes.

What's happened to quality control? Does anybody care? We all make mistakes, but this is just too foolish.

Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4918 10/26/05 09:08 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
If my memory serves me correctly, they put a sticker on the dark blue collector's society box stating that the piece enclosed was not a collector society piece.

smile Bob smile

Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4919 10/26/05 09:34 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sandy I first heard that the Rondout piece was going to be corrected. I called HL about it and was told that it was not going to be corrected. I wanted to buy this one but not with the wrong date. Is your information recent that it's going to be changed?

It seems that opinions on "variations" may be changing. Earlier "mistakes" were coveted but these days, it seems most folks want their HL's to be as accurate as possible. At least I do.

The only "mistake" I knowingly purchased was the Beavertail with the wrong color tower. Thought maybe it would turn out to be worth more. Yeah, right. I also have the Hudson Athens with the faulty fence because I didn't know it was faulty until the mistake was pointed out. Buying one of a lighthouse is costly enough without having to buy two to get the mistake free version.

Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4920 10/26/05 10:56 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bob,
No sticker on my box indicating contents are not Collector's Society.

Sue,
My source (dealer) contacted HL after I pointed out to him that there was a mistake. HL rep told him the correction would occur on the "next" run of the piece which would take place when the initial production run was depleted. He contacted them at my request a few weeks ago and was advised that they still haven't sold out of the initial production run. Don't know how many were produced for the IPR, and won't know at what number they'll retire the piece. If it's retired when the 5,500th piece is made, there'll be some with the correct 1913 date on the tower. If it's retired when the IPR is reached, there won't be any 1913 pieces, and the edition run number will reflect the actual number made.

Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4921 10/27/05 01:04 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
And remember that every Harbour Lights has at least one mistake done on purpose for copyright purposes..

Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4922 10/27/05 01:12 AM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
And remember that every Harbour Lights has at least one mistake done on purpose for copyright purposes..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHY would anyone copyright a mistake? confused confused confused confused

Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4923 10/27/05 01:16 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Other companies have been known to take a piece and cast a mold of it, then produce it as their own. Maybe use much lower quality materials and craftsmen. Not only steal the product itself, but then undercut price wise and ruin your reputation for quality. Intentional error included in the casting would help you to prove that the product was exact copied when the case goes to court.

Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4924 10/27/05 01:24 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Which Harbour Lights has done on at least one occasion and won their case in court.. In this particular case the other company copied the error of not enough sides on the HL Coquille LE which was an accidental error by HL and a win in court by HL..

Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4925 10/27/05 01:35 AM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
And some guy named Sherlock gets all the glory for super sleuthing. . . .

Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4926 10/27/05 08:52 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
So does the box now belong in the "collectibles" section?
At this time I have not heard of anyone paying more money for any of the lighthouses because that they came with a society box instead of the standard one. Maybe sometime down the future, but I doubt it. The main reason is that most collectors don’t know about this box change and I forgot all about it until you brought up the subject. If I were to buy a Cape Romain, I would only buy the one with the society box. Why. Because it is different and sets you out from the regular collector. Depending on how many came with the society box, I think that $5 or $ 10 bucks more, would be reasonable for one. But don’t expect it. My guess would be that the first 2000 or so of the Cape Romain had society boxes. Back then that was around the amount for the first shipment. Of course if it was only the first couple of hundred it would be more interesting.

The boxes that can make a lighthouse more valuable are the brown (plain and Castle Studios) and white (castle studios). Expect more for your lighthouse if you have these boxes for them.

DANIEL
Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4927 10/27/05 11:46 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
So if you have one or more of these mismatched sets (lighthouse and box) Sandy I guess you should display the box/boxes along with the lighthouses in your mistake curio! wink

Thanks for that info on Rondout. So it seems that both answers I got may be right.....

Paul, Dave, so the intentional errors would/should be of the type that would not be noticible to the general collector, not be of the type that would compromise the integrity of the piece? Or would something like a missing fence part or an incorrect date qualify?

Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4928 10/27/05 12:26 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Mombo,

Ain't plannin' on displaying boxes, but that dark blue box certainly does look out-of-place with all the other powder-blue and white boxes!!
eek eek eek

Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4929 10/27/05 12:44 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Speaking of Copyright...is that how the Seahorses got started? and why they are hard to find?

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Cape Romain, SC--Collector's Society?? #4930 10/27/05 01:03 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
I would think the intentional error would be something minor and not something significant in the model. The date has to be a goof probably based on some information that HL had and possibly a lack of a good picture of that part of the light.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,570 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users