cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
November in Michigan! #8100 09/13/02 06:03 PM
lhlover Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, it's offical - I LOVE THIS SITE! smile In less than a week's time I have met a bunch of fellow Lighthouse Junkies, chatted about Lighthouses, found many new Lighthouse sites by your posts, and much more. This also seems to be a great site to meet people in different Lighthouse organizations and to get great ideas on visiting lighthouses. You guys are GREAT! smile Unfortunately everything seems to be happening September/October - boat trip to Delaware, boat trip to S Carolina, meetings, tours, etc.

My husband notified me last night that his work wants to send him to Detroit, Michigan at the beginning of November. Kenny has been trying to get me to quit my job and travel with him - his ploy is - "Think of all the Lighthouses you can visit while I'm at work." Trust me, it's a VERY inviting thought - not have to work, travel, and see lighthouses. Hmm!?! Anyways, Kenny asked me to come to Michigan with him - he will probably be there for a month to a month and a half - maybe even longer. Two things stop me - my job and the snow! I told him that I would take a week off work and visit him (and the Lighthouses) and he asked me when that would be.

Where y'all fit in - I was wondering if any of you Michigan LH Junkies knew of any special Lighthouse events planned for November. We have been to Forty Mile Point, the two LH's and two range lights at Presque Isle, Alpena tower, Stergeons Point, and Tawas Point (Old Presque Isle was my favorite smile ). I would like to visit a few Lighthouses I haven't seen, but I am always willing to go back to ones I've been to before. {Especially since I didn't have my Passport book when I visited those eight. frown }

Let me know if anyone knows of anything happening. I would like to stay on the eastern side of Michigan, but would be willing to travel depending on the event. Thanks for your help!

BonnieJean

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: November in Michigan! #8101 09/15/02 02:56 PM
Gary Martin Offline
Hi Bonnie Jean,

Too bad you'll miss the Great Lakes Lighthouse Festival in Alpena which is the middle of October. Off hand, I don't know of any Lighthouse Events along the Lake Huron shore in November, but going north along the shore from Detroit is a wonderful trip that I did in April, 2001. Personally, I love to photograph at Point aux Barques at the tip of the thumb and there are several lighthouses along the way as you go northward, not to mention the lightship Huron just south of the Bluewater Bridge to Canada at Fort Gratiot, MI. The Ft. Gratiot light is there and as you go north several others before you get to Pointe aux Barques. I'll attach a couple of photos of Point aux Barques to whet your appetite a little later today after I get the uploaded.

The other thing worth mentioning is that Detriot isn't on Michigan's snowy side!!! That tends to be more over here on the west side of the state where the snow comes in off the lake if that helps some.

Gary aka lighthousephoto

Re: November in Michigan! #8102 09/15/02 03:17 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Can you say "snowmobile suite"?

I'll second Gary's post above - but keep in mind that IF a lighthouse is open for touring, there's a good chance it's not open in November. Once again, the Lighthouse Links page can point you in some directions.

And don't forget when you are in Detroit, the country just SOUTH of you has some good lighthouses to see also. (That would be Canada.)

But don't be sad. With this much advance notice and all these Lighthouse friends, there are some lighthouses that YOU may be able to get into when you know the right people and know how to plead and beg.

I've moved this thread fromt he General Forum to the Map Room.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users