cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cats verify the laws of physics with H-L's... #12464 07/16/02 11:01 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
I like cats - although I am allergic to them. I can co-exist with our five house-bound short-hairs by periodic bathing (Them... not me!). Their daytimes are spent as bookends in the windows or on the beds and sofas. Nights are for fun...

This AM I found a heart-stopper. One of my recent acquisitions, #253 Ft. Gratiot, was found upside down on my carpet. It fell from the top shelf of my open 7' bookcase - a good 6' - hitting on it's felt on the edge of a wooden speaker enclosure before continuing to the floor. I could find no damage, save the right angled imprinted lines on the felt from the fall-breaker.

I have watched - in horror - as my cats would leap to the top shelf of my other cases to walk around. I never thought they would jump to a 'full' shelf. I caught one on a lower 'full' shelf trying to climb vertically. They have experimentally proven such axioms as those concerning momentum, acceleration, and even Hysenberg's Uncertainty Principle (Two objects occupying the same place at the same time...).

I suppose that two possible solutions exist to my problem. I must either build some glass enclosed cases - or consider some interesting far eastern recipes for Kung Pao Meow.

Suggestions??

John

PS What are these later lighthouses made of??

Re: Cats verify the laws of physics with H-L's... #12465 07/16/02 12:58 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
ALF!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cats verify the laws of physics with H-L's... #12466 07/16/02 02:12 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
They are made of Cold Cast Resin not ALF! (LOL)

Re: Cats verify the laws of physics with H-L's... #12467 07/16/02 05:10 PM
B
Buz Dean Offline
B
2 tricks that I use in keeping my 3 cats under/over/off is when I'm present i shake a coke(pepsi if you must) can with a couple pennies in it. They seem to detest the sound. Second is to lay crumpled aluminum foil on the spots where I do not wish them to transverse.

Re: Cats verify the laws of physics with H-L's... #12468 07/16/02 08:21 PM
eskilady Offline
Another way to scare the cats off (and dogs too) is to pop a balloon right in their face. It scares the living daylights out of them. After that, you can put balloons where you don't want the animals to go and they will steer clear.

Eskilady
Re: Cats verify the laws of physics with H-L's... #12469 07/16/02 08:37 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Staying on topic in the General Forum:

I would have started this in the "Nothing To Do..." Forum

Re: Cats verify the laws of physics with H-L's... #12470 07/18/02 11:16 AM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
A squirt gun works good too. Although it only works when you're awake and can protect the "out of bounds" area.

Personally, not being a cat lover, Kung Pao Meow sounds good to me!!

Seems like putting all this stuff around to discourage their movement in certain areas would make the place look like a dump!!

Dan

Re: Cats verify the laws of physics with H-L's... #12471 07/18/02 08:55 PM
pierhead Offline
One of my cats used to enjoy rubbing on a couple of my HLs. A couple of good smacking sessions cured him of that. Also, believe it or not, chasing the cat with the light in question works also. They see it as a negative object, kind of like the vaccuum cleaner. Be thankful there was no damage to your Ft. Gratiot. A couple of years ago, I came home to find my Grand Haven light (my personal favorite) lying on the floor. The inner tower had broken at the base. A little super glue made the break almost undetectable, but Kung Pao Meow was the first thought that came to mind.

Jared

PS - No offense guys, but I agree with Dan. My house would look like an episode of "Sanford and Son" if I were to leave all that stuff lying around.

Re: Cats verify the laws of physics with H-L's... #12472 07/19/02 09:43 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
Randy,

I assume that the first ones were made out of plaster - or something equally heavy and fragile - as several of the 'shelf-worn' oldies I've seen had small white 'chipped' places on them. The cold-cast resin should be a great deal more resilient.

I have noticed the cats absence when I am cleaning my target pistol... I believe they can smell the spent powder residue. I had my lunch in here the last time - a tuna sandwich - and they didn't come in, very odd. Leaving a dirty firearm on a shelf - or spent cases - isn't the answer (Then it would look like I lived in Alabama!). I suppose it is time to consider some closed-in glass curios. Until then, my door will be shut when I (and the cats) leave the room.

Does anyone know where to obtain the glass at a decent price? I tried to replicate a small (sale price $300) oak (real wood) curio with six sheves. I hit the $200 mark at a local glass shop without the mirror! As a woodworker, I have an aversion to buying an imported curio - but if it's cost is about what the glass cost is, it makes sense. What are the long-term problems with curios? Incandescent (tube) lamps or quartz-halogen?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

John

PS Should Kung Pao Meo be prepared with peanuts or cashews?

Re: Cats verify the laws of physics with H-L's... #12473 07/19/02 11:03 AM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Get a BIG dog!!!

Re: Cats verify the laws of physics with H-L's... #12474 07/19/02 06:42 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Kung Pao Meo is prepared with peanuts while Kung Pao Meow is made with cashews.

With respect to curios:
a) no matter how air tight they appear you still get a significant amount of dust infiltration. The glass and mirrors really show the dust, big time. Large cabinets with side access are a bugger to clean. Also, make sure the glass shelves are heavy enough to support the pieces that are put on them.
b) I prefer the quartz halogen lamps. I like the looks of the pieces under it's lighting. These halogen bulbs do run hotter, and you need to be careful of the temperature within the cabinet if you leave the light(s) on for long periods of time. Then again you could put the cats inside the sealed cabinets and leave your Harbour Lights out in the open!!!

Dan

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users