Being the 'person behind the email address' for R@R has allowed me some insight into the market/demand for HLs over the past few years. I'm going to float a couple of observations and solicit your comments.

First, for as long as I've been doing this, almost three years, dealers have been dropping the HL lines for various reasons. (And the HL dealer list has grown a bunch too) To read this thread, it seems that the pace and frequency of this may be picking up. Why? One theory is that the amount of discretionary (don't you love that economic term? Personally, none of what I earn is 'discretionary'. I need it all) income is less this year than it has been in some long time. So the prevalance of 50% off sales shouldn't be a surprise. The dealers are competing for the dollars that are still available in the market.

It may also be that the dealers are just good merchants too. Collectibles aren't a necessitiy. To keep the collector coming in, a dealer has to keep the flame alive for the collectible. Once the collector realizes that there are other things to do, both with their time and with their money, the dealer has lost a customer. One way for a dealer to help ride out the bad times is to acknowledge and share them by selling the merchandise for a discount. Thus preserving a customer for the future.

Another thing that I've noticed over the time I've done R@R is that I don't see many of the same people asking for leads that I see making posts here on the Forums. (Although I do have to thank the few Forum regulars that consistently provide me with leads. You know who you are, Thank you!) That tells me a couple of things.

1- That the market for HLs is somewhat wider than the view we have through the Forums looking glass. So don't make your decisions about HLs and your collection based solely on an opinion expressed here. The folks here are knowledgeable and passionate about 'their' Harbour Lights, but there are about 900 registered members of the Forums and over 35,000 Collector Society numbers issued. Yes, not all may be active members, but 900 vs. 35,000? There are many opinions that aren't being heard here.

2 - That the market is much wider than the view that one might conclude by reading this thread. Is it as healthy, frenetic and dynamic as a few years ago? Probably not. But I still get email at R@R from collectors who just started and want to catch-up some. So the market isn't dead either.

One last thing for now. I think the 'Lighthouse' craze is over. It's not just HLs that are 50% off. Many of the stores that had anything at all in a lighthouse motif have moved that stuff to the discount table. But, it is my hope that HLs can transition and grow to be a like Hummel or Lladro. Those are collectible lines that have stood the test of time and have many long term, dedicated collectors.

Looking forward to your comments and discussion.

Rick