Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Overgrown? #80656 09/13/05 11:16 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I imagine there are many people among us that are amateur gardeners and landscapers. We purchase plants, bushes, trees, etc., and really don't take into consideration how big these things can get.

They are so small when we plant them but through the years they just keep getting larger and larger until they get to the point that they lose their appeal. I know you can keep trimming them back and that does work, but if you don't, they can become a threat to your home and down right messy.

The reason I bring this up is because of the many lighthouses that are obscured by trees and bushes. I think it is really unfortunate that the caretakers of these properties didn't have the foresight to not plant anything that would obscure the tower and perhaps even the keeper's house. Keep in mind that it's not just the beacon that guides vessels but the shape and color of the tower along with a recognizeable keeper's house enters into it also.

I know that shruberry and trees prevent erosion but couldn't such greenery been planned to prevent erosion while not obscuring the lighthouse? Bushes can be trimmed and so can trees. Breakwaters could be added and trees removed to reveal what was hidden behind them. Remember it is not just the beacon that guides. The entire lighthouse is also an aid to navigation as far as I'm concerned.

smile Bob smile

Re: Overgrown? #80657 09/13/05 11:36 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The original keepers would not have let trees grow so close to the lighthouse. I would be for tree removal at many locations, however, I sure some would object.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Overgrown? #80658 09/13/05 03:02 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I agree, Bob. The paint design on a lighthouse isn't just so it looks pretty - it's a daymark. DayMARK. It MARKS during the DAY. If you can't see it, then the lighthouse is useless.

Plus, if they got rid of the shrubbery, then it would make it easier for us to take photos!

I don't get why a lighthouse owner would obscure the lighthouse from the water side, anyway. You almost always have fantastic water views. Why block them? confused

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,340 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users