Coast Guard Budget Cuts #80175 07/04/00 03:41 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
From an Editorial in the Quincy MA Patriot Ledger
June 5, 2000
Quote:
For starters , the USCG won't have as many boats out on the ocean in the coming weeks, so be careful not to get into trouble on the water. Tax revenues are pouring into Washington at record rates but the Coast Guard is suffering another round of budget cuts.

So far the cuts, whuch range from 5 to 25%, depending on the Coast Guard District, have not affected SAR Ops out of Pt Allerton Station in Hull. But the Coast Guard expects to cut patrols there and if there are fewer boats on the water it could take longer to respond to a specific emergency.

This is the second round of budget cuts this year at Pt Allerton, which has 52 employees and covers the area from Scituate to Gloucester and 60 miles out to sea.

Because of budget cuts, Commanders have been told to reduce routine maintenance of buoys and Lighthouses and to reduce drug and fishery law enforcement. Rep. Wm Delahunt, D-Quincy, who chairs the House Coast Guard Caucus, fought for a $594 Million budget increase for the Coast Guard which the House approved in March. Now it's up to the Senate, and that's next years budget, so it won't help during the Summer months.

It's hard to understand how such a rich Country cannot afford to fund its Coast Guard Operations.

Re: Coast Guard Budget Cuts #80176 07/04/00 09:09 AM
Torchbearer Offline
Thanks John for the post. It's typical in that, more responsibilities have been added to the USCG's curriculum, but yet, are expected to perform these duties in an exemplary manner (many under adverse conditions) with less money. I recall annually trying to purchase various "wants and needs" but couldn't due to budgetary contraints. Then, at the end of the fiscal, having to rush an order because "all of a sudden" money appeared and we had to spend it, or lose that money from our budget the following fiscal. Often, I couldn't procure the proper equipment to perform our duties safely, and effectively. I remember one such incident while at a small boat station, trying to purchase replacement Mustang Suits (one piece, foul weather apparel) because many of my crew were wearing old and torn ones. Once again, due to "budgetary cutbacks, I couldn't get replacements. Out of my own pocket, I took them to a seamstress and had them repaired. I'm sure Sean and Rich have many such stories.

Regarding the USCG's budget cutbacks... according to what I have read, they will continue to respond to every SAR case. So, if someone does get into trouble out there, the boys in blue will continue putting their lives on the line so that others may live. The unofficial USCG motto... "You have to go out, but you don't have to come back" remains constant. God forbid the day that too gets cut.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Coast Guard Budget Cuts #80177 07/04/00 09:54 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
It was also report on the evening news here in Orlando a month or so ago, that the Coast Guard was going to have to reduce it's patrols due to the unexpected high price of fuel. The 35 percent additional fuel costs were not in this year's budget so they don't have the money to buy the necessary fuel.

Joanne

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 730 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users