On several occasions I've heard BY claim they introduce so many pieces each year because they need to keep product on dealers shelves. But with edition sizes at 10k - that obviously has not been a problem. They need to make up their mind, because the combination of a large number of new releases with high editions sizes is not healthy.

There simply aren't that many lighthouse model collectors with enough disposable dollars.

In 1996 HL released over 25 full size models that weren't knock-offs. Over 18 in 1997 and over 25 in 1998. To absorb the releases from those three years alone, the collecting community is asked to spend over $50 million dollars at retail.

To me the fundamental issue remains this - the number of regular purchasers of Harbour Lights Collectibles does not appear to be increasing. The growth in number of Collectors that did occur was based on a Collectible with a lower edition size (5500) which could legitimately claim some exclusivity and uniqueness. A 10k edition size, coupled with an unlimited amount of hand-numbered knock-offs virtually indistinquishable from 'the real McCoy' has almost reduced the line to a commodity status. Tumbling secondary prices reflect this - the perception of value that helped create demand has been diluted to a point where it is simply not enough to sustain the line as a Collectible. This commoditization reflects HL's attemtps to reach a broader market, but they are not gaining a deeper market. In other words, the rationale for purchase of the core group of 2500-4000 folks on which the initial success was built is compromised in the quest for volume. After 8+ years I don't believe the number of core collectors has increased past 4500, nor has anything I've seen led me to think it will increase in the near future. The audience to which HL has now turned does not purchase with the consistency of the core group of collectors, nor is this audience concerned with purchasing 'Collectibles'.

I say, if HL wants to return to their roots of creating Collectibles instead of commodities, then pick any Two:
1) drop the GLOW line,
2) lower the edition size back to 5500,
3) raise LE prices by 50%.

If they aren't interested in that business model, then give up the effort to have it both ways by ceasing the announcement of edition sizes and no longer numbering any pieces. Pull models from production when they are no longer revenue producers. There's no shame in making the best giftware lighthouse models. Based on most of the opinions expressed in these Forums, it appears this approach would have no effect on sales to people who: a) buy what they like, and, b) don't really concern themselves with the appearance of exclusivity that leads to appreciation.

Cheers,
__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 12-01-99).]