Quote:
in my first post in this thread I was actually hoping to turn the discussion away from issues of monetary value.

Sorry, guess I’m in a rut. (g, set monetary value mode="OFF")

I agree with your assessment of what HL appeared to begin with as their original intent and acknowledge the 'cachet of exclusivity', but largely disagree with the reduced exclusivity / breaking trust bit. I have no issue at all with a line of 'Hand Numbered Limited Edition Collectibles', nor with many individuals buying in *because* of this capital-C factor. Heck, you can even take all the numbers off of the GLOWs, if it would make the capital-Cs feel better. That wouldn't bother me at all.

Frankly though, I wish the GLOWs were even larger in size. I think that being obviously different (even if aesthetically 'better') than the originals should be enough to separate the 'Collectible' HLs from the mere GLOWs (especially if the latter didn't have a serial number). I do agree that if the GLOWs were similarly sized to the LEs (which they are not, imo), their presence and often superior good looks might 'squelch the flame of desire' that you speak of to some degree. That wouldn't bother me personally, but since my recent sensitivity training (vbg), I understand where the capital-C crowd may be coming from on this. I think that I would actually purchase a St. Augustine GLOW if it stood an honest 7 or 8 inches tall. I *do not* think that would keep me from wanting or eventually purchasing the LE, but it might set me back a week or two.

I think that a person ready to plop down 400 clams for a LH model should be sophisticated enough to tell the difference between the LE and the OE, even if they were closer in size, all hand numbered and looked nearly identical. And if they couldn't tell the difference, then they shouldn’t be allowed to have that much money in the first place .

Quote:
I fully understand the Humean notion of casuality issue

I'm glad *you* do. I don't know my Hume from my Kant. I just make this stuff up as I go along.

------------------
-Art

-Art