Prices in the Springs seem to range from 2.79 at the military bases to 3.09 near the Interstate. For once, it seems the eastern staes are higher than the west, unless you're in Aspen or Vail. No supply problems here either. My father and I had an independent station way back in the 60s and 70s and yes, you will raise your price to cover the cost of the next load. Since you sell at about 2 cent markup, that next high price load will make you dig past the bottom of your pocket. Company owned outlets use the same philosophy but can really absorb the differences much easier. For the independents it can be a losing game until the price turns down.

All in all, this looks to be a short term impact. Gulf rigs and refineries are comming back on line and there was never a shortage of oil, only refined products. Panic buying caused by "the sky is falling" media had a bigger impact. The oil companies and utilities are coming back. It's their business to know how to deal with this. I grew up and lived with hurricanes for years and we never expected the feds to show up. The incompetence in Louisiana and New Orleans was expected, they've never been any other way.

For example, The Homeland Security Department has built portable hospitals for just this case. The one from Charlotte sits in the K-Mart parking lot in Bay St. Louis, MS even though it was heading for New Orleans. They couldn't set up there because the locals couldn't decide who would be in charge and what functions the medics could perform. Rant on MacDuff and low be he that first cry "enough." smile

Bob, just plain Bob