Welcome to the FSB where you always get your word's worth. :-) Good comments from all!

Quote:
I would rather have Harbour Lights continue to find that optimum number than make crushing lighthouses a norm. Sheesh what could make a collectible look weaker, imho.

I think you answered your own question, Sean. What could make a Collectible look weaker is a large quantity of unsold models from several years back getting dusty on the shelves. I agree that destruction of models should definitely not be the norm. But its a way out of the present situation that from my perspective is far better than discounting. I don't believe discounting will work because the buyers aren't there. If I thought a one-time HL sanctioned 20% price reduction of high-excess models would move 'em off the shelves quickly, I'd consider that a viable option.

I'll grant there may be a few collectors who haven't made certain purchases because they figure 'they'll always be available'. Discounting probably won't draw them out because the availability will remain the same. Perhaps an announcement of a limited time discount after which the remaining models get turned to dust could spur those purchases. Or pre-set a retirement date for all models regardless of edition size. 'After three years its gone, regardless'.

Part of the issue is restoring sufficient dealer faith to invest in purchases knowing they won't have to take a bath if a model doesn't pan out. Once a dealer has dropped a line I suspect it takes years for them to return to it, if they ever do. It would be interesting to hear from HL the business model they think works best after the most popular lights have been made.

As far as the price being too high I believe it would be a mistake to create a price differential based on aesthetics. Different folks have different perceptions and motivations. For example, Grand Traverse is a beautiful model, imo - but there's probably too many of 'em. I'd advocate high quality smaller edition sizes with higher prices rather than lower prices and higher edition sizes.

Fog, not smoke, fog. :-)
__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 01-15-2001).]