I love these discussions. This is what collecting is all about. The thought processes are wonderful and exciting reading. I have been waiting for this topic to raise its head again to make a few observations.
1. Has Y&A hit the wall?
We have been telling them in the Forum for years to scale back their edition sizes. Along with that, there is a general feeling that GLOWS hurt the value of LE's when issued too early after the LE was issued.
A company must continue to expand or it will die. Y&A tried to expand and for the most part, failed.
a. Glows
b. larger edition sizes of LE's
c. spy glass, LLOM, figurines, ornies, trees, dolls, etc.
d. Anchor Bay
e. Pharos
f. now we have Life Saving Stations

I would venture to say that Y&A is disturbed by these outcomes.

2. Wackos cannot support Y&A alone
There are only so many of us willing to purchase much of what Harbour Lights makes. I am talking about the less than famous lights. Y&A makes their profit from producing lights that many thousands of non-wackos will buy such as Hatteras, Portland Head, Augustine, etc. These have already been made and we wackos have asked Y&A not to make anymore in order to increase the value of our private curio collection. These are NOT fantasy houses like David Winter where you can just make a new one. These are REAL and they are limited in number. I suspect that the non-wacko is not going to pick up a White River because he likes the style or he visited there one summer. The non-wacko WILL buy the Hatteras because it's famous and in a resort area. Except for HOTM, we have asked Y&A not to produce more Hatteras'. We have placed Y&A into a "Catch 22". They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
In short, we the collectors want true collectibles but at the same time must realize that Y&A must be able to turn a profit. There are maybe no more high profile lights for them to produce that will turn that profit for them. They continue to search for periferal lights to make, like the Fresnel, but how long can this last?
-Joe

[This message has been edited by easya (edited 01-15-2001).]