cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eureka! #72720 06/12/00 02:13 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
I found a Gray's Harbor variant this weekend after a long search! If anyone recalls my previous post on this matter, I had found one in a local store last summer but it was badly chipped so I passed on it...elation gave way to disappointment.
I was in Leesburg VA attending an Alzheimer's Disease symposium this weekend. I had Sat afternoon free and drove to Tyson's Corner Center. I had the intent of just getting some Pokemon cards for my kids at a Games Keeper store but I had my Harbour Lights directory with me and knew that there was a store called the Crystal Galleria at the mall there. I walked in and got my first glimpse of Boca Grande (Ohhh...ahh...a VERY nice piece...can't wait to get one of my own!) but they didn't really have much of a selection to buy...maybe 15 pieces tops. And then...I saw it...Gray's Harbor...windows rotated from center. I picked it up...my hands were shaking slightly...and I examined the piece to find there were absolutely no flaws whatsoever on the piece. I immediately took it to the register and bought it. In the process of buying it, I went into an excited description of its importance to the saleswoman. She smiled and humored me. She kind of looked at me as if I were some kind of "wacko" or something!
I just thought I would share this with you...for those interested Gray's Harbor #4311 is a variant.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: Eureka! #72721 06/12/00 02:30 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Congratulations Doc!

I don't have a current list, but yours seems to be a high number among those located so far.

You forgot to do just one thing. Kindly ask the sales person if perhaps they would permit you to look at EACH of the Gray's Harbor WA pieces they had -- just to be sure the one on display was the 'best' one they had.

Re: Eureka! #72722 06/12/00 02:45 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry John...you'll have to forgive my lapse in judgement here, but when I saw the piece was free of scratches and chips, I was just too excited to do anything else. One could say I progressed beyond "Wacko" and entered a "Psycho" stage at that point. The only I was concerned about was getting the piece I wanted and making sure that they wouldn't substitute one back in the stock room instead and place the "dislay" model in my hand back on the floor!

Doc John

Doc John
Re: Eureka! #72723 06/12/00 10:54 AM
Torchbearer Offline
Congratulations Doc! I am still on the prowl for such a piece in my area. I do believe when the HL dealers employees see me coming, they think to themselves, "here comes that Wacko again." Well, now that I'm a certified, pin carrying Wacko, I will wear it on my next venture, and remove all doubts!

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Eureka! #72724 06/12/00 11:19 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Congratulations Doc !

I know what you mean about your hands shaking. Happened to me when I held the LE Portland Head I found in the antique shop.
Derith

Re: Eureka! #72725 06/12/00 10:01 PM
T
Tim H Offline
T
Congrats Doc!

I know how exciting this can be. I too would probably have forgotten to ask to see what else they had, & due to their limited supply may not have been much!

Keep up the good hunting,

Tim H

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,364 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users