This was the fog when we went into the museum.

While Bob was still reading the signs in the museum, I went out and saw a family all climbing on a big cannon for a picture.

There were no signs prohibiting this although there are in most of the federal parks like Fort Sumter.

I saw some folks coming down the stairs from the top section of the fort, so I climbed up. The fort had numbered information points, and I discovered that I was going backwards from at Battery Schenck (1899-1923) and Battery Thomas. It was still somewhat foggy (although not as much as before), so I couldn't see much.

When I was high up on the walls, I could see the beach in front of the fort the present skeleton tower lighthouse and the parking lot of the Visitor's Center, but not across the bay to the other fort and I couldn't really see even to the top of the tower very well.

Now, I couldn't figure out how to get down.

Apparently I missed a turn somewhere. I saw Bob cross the dry moat (photo below) and called to him, and he said

just to come down the brick gun ramp. But it was quite steep - I'm not sure it was really meant for people to climb up and down it - and I thought I might slip and fall, so I was cautious.

I caught up to Bob on the parade ground in front of a sign about the Citadel (1821-1865) which had housed up to 400 soldiers at this spot. It burned at the end of 1864 and no longer exists except in photographs.