To all the folks going to the NELL meeting this June and any one travelling to Maine for lighthousing, might I suggest a visit to Burnt Island in Boothbay Harbor.
I believe last summer was the 1st time the LH had been open to the public after about 5 years of fund raising and restoration.
I had been by the LH on cruises but never able to visit it. It was a surprise to find that it is now open to the public.
It is more than just a tour. It is a living history program w/a keeper and his family circa 1950. With the exception of some of the big living history programs like Plymouth and Colonial Williamsburg it is clearly the best I have ever attended. It is also the only one I've experienced at a LH.
The high point of our visit was the fact that the gentleman portraying Joseph Muise, the keeper in 1950, was the actual keeper who succeeded Keeper Muise. I am sorry but his name escapes me and I can't find where I wrote it down. I do remember that he was retired to California and was recruited to spend the summer of 2003 at Burnt Is.
His knowledge and stories were very enjoyable and entertaining.
As retired teachers Sis and I found it a thouroughly enjoyable experience and hope this forum reply encourages others to go.
The program was developed by a Ms. Jones w/the Maine Dept. of Marine Resources and more info should be available from them.
I am certainly happy to have this venue to spread the word to anyone who uses the forums to plan LH trips, especially to Maine.
Enjoy!
Rick laugh laugh laugh