Mombo,

Remember the discussion we were having concerning the lighthouses/pier lights in Erie, PA? I did some research on the two lighthouses and you were correct on the Erie Land Light being located on the oposite side of the entrance to Erie Harbor as the existing Presque Isle Light is now located. Chauk one up to you! I had mentioned that I knew there was a Pier Light located on the Steel Pier at the foot of Erie's main street which is State Street. I found this pier light mentioned in Francis Ross Holland Jr. America's Lighthouses on page 176. He writes that in about 1837 "a beacon possessing four lamps was erected on the pier in Erie Harbor. Later, in 1858, it was rebuilt." He later states "Today the Erie Pierhead light is carried in the Coast Guard's Light List as the direct descendant of the United States' first lighthouse on the Graet Lakes." The present Presques Isle Light at the northern entrance to Erie Harbor didn't go into service until 1873 so the pier light you are refering to could not be the Steel Pier Light that I remember. The Steel Pier light that I am talking about was put into service 36 years before The Presque Isle Lighthouse was commisioned and was still active as late as 1996. Now, for all intensive purposes, Erie may actually have "four" lights: Erie Land Light, Presque Isle Light, Presque Isle Pier Light and the Original Erie Harbor Pier Light. What's your thoughts on this?

Rich

[This message has been edited by flacoastie (edited 01-23-2002).]

Rich