More suggestions:

We've had the rainiest winter in 50 years, and it shows no sign of letting up. Washington weather is typically rainy thru June! Get a cheap rain slicker with a hood!

The OR coast is such an easy drive, 101 follows the coast, lights are well marked and usually close to, or right on 101. Heceta Head has a particularly nice viewpoint. Tourist accomodation are plentiful and good.

I hate to dis my own state, but you have to work a little harder to find and enjoy Washington's charms. Hwy 101 does not follow the coast, so it's not as scenic as OR. It wanders thru communities on the peninsula whose economies depend on the fishing and timber industries, which have both taken a beating in the last decade. I'm going to mention a few outstanding places to stay, as well as throw in a few extra things to see/do besides lights. I'm fairly new to light hunting and HL collecting.

After crossing the toll bridge from Astoria, OR your first light stop will be Ilwaco on the Long Beach peninsula. North Head Light is at Canby State Park. For $200 per night, 2 day minimum stay, you can stay at the keeper's house, which sleeps eight (PH 360-642-3078). Long Beach is a tourist town with lot's of accomodations. Two notable/expensive places to eat are the Shelbourne Inn at Seaview and The Ark at Nahcotta.

Further north up 101 in the middle of the peninsula is Lake Quinault, located in the rainforest. For the true NW experience, I highly recommend a stop or stay at Lake Quinault Lodge (349 S. Shore Road, Quinault WA 98575 PH: 360-288-2900). A rustic historic lodge (no TV or Phones in room) located on the lake' edge. They keep a fire going in the great room almost all year round. A wonderful place to relax and read or play board/card game the hotel keeps on hand. We have spent many a wedding anniversary here. The restaurant is wonderful, with a view of the Lake. Across the street are trail heads leading thru the rain forest. You can walk as much or as little as you like. The general store nearby sells "lattes" the state drink! Ask for a "single, tall" and choose a shot of flavored syrup and they'll think you're a native.

You don't have to be staying there to walk in and look around the area. Well worth it, and not far out of your way!

Further north up 101 is the Kalaloch Lodge, just north of Queets. Right on the water, it's a bunch of cabins, with an OK restaurant on the premises. Great sunsets in the summer. I couldn't find the # for reservations, but the restaurant# is 360-962-2271, I'm sure they can connect you. Ruby Beach nearby is popluar.

Continuing north, Forks is a small logging/fishing community with a few OK motels and less OK restaurants.

Following 101 towards Port Angeles, you will pass Lake Crescent Lodge, another historic lodge. (360-928-3211) I've never stayed here, but we always stop to visit the gift shop and examine the native basketry that decorates the lobby.

You're all probably more light literate that I, but for the record Dungeness Light is located at the end of a thin, 5 miles long sand spit, hiking it takes about 2 1/2 hours. Check tide tables before you go, otherwise at high tide you may have to scramble over the rocks that shore up the spit. I've never hiked out to the light (on my list of things to do) but it's well worthwhile. The light is open daily from two hours after sunrise to two hours before sunset. Volunteer keepers staying there will give you a guided tour. On a clear day, you'll be able to see Canada.

But then, why not visit Canada! In Port Angeles, on the north coast, a daily ferry will take you to Victoria. The crossing takes about 1 1/2 hours. Leave your car behind, Victoria is very walkable and tourist friendly. Shopping, tearooms, museums and tour buses are all located on the harbor. Ferry schedules vary seasonally, but it's possible to do Victoria in a day. Take the early morning ferry, stay a few hours and come back the same day.

When visiting Mukilteo light, the Boeing Everett factory is located nearby off Hwy 526 between Mukilteo and Interstate 5. You can take a tour for a few bucks. It's not fabulous, the tour is mainly a movie, a bus ride thru the flight line and a visit to a view platform overlooking the factory. But you can say you've been in the world's largest building under one roof. Besides, I work at Boeing and figured I'd better put in a plug for my employer.

This is all for now, let me know if there's anything else you'd like to hear about.