Hello Rich
I have been to the Outerbanks, and would like to tell you about it.
I was there Last Mermorial Day. I decided to go at the last minute and was very glad I went.
I saw 5 lighthouses is a day and 1/2. I was traveling alone and everything was so easy to find.
Leaving Tennessee about 4 pm I arrived to the Outerbanks about midnight on Saturday night.
I was up and ready about 6:30 Sunday morning.
Drove to Bodie Island first. 7 am, the quiet of the area that early was nice. You can not climb it so about an 1 hour is all you need to get some beautiful pictures. Don't forget to take one from Hwy 12. The sun will be behind you and you will get a great shot.
I then went back to Corrolla to see Currituck. It doesn't take long to drive, just tht the speed limit is only 35-40 through Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Duck and Corrolla. I arrived there 9:15 just in time to get some shots of the light without people on it. It doesn't open until 9:30, you can climb it for $5 and overlook the ocean and the Currituck Sound.
Backtrack some and go past Bodie Island again and wave as you head to Cape Hatteras.
You will be lucky to see it in the new location. When I was there I saw it just before it was moved and then went to the new location. You will have no trouble finding this one.... Take time to walk on the beach while there, it is wonderful.
Moving on to Ocracoke... You will take a ferry from Cape Hatteras to Ocracoke, they run often and will take about 1/2 hour.
When you get on Ocracoke the streets are narrow and winding but you will have no trouble.
Now the ferry back to the mainland is something else. YOU MUST MAKE A RESERVATION FOR THIS. It is booked. An you will need to make it ASAP.
It take 2-1/2 hours. So make it your last thing of the evening and you can rest on the ride.
You will dock at Cedar Island. Make a reservation at Harkers Island for the night. The next morning you will be set to go to Cape Lookout. Plenty of ferries that take people only to Cape Lookout. You can spend 1 hour or all day and they will come back to get you when you say so. You pack your own food and water and of course your camera. Be sure to get a shot of the lighthouse as you approach it. You may be as lucky as I was and capture the reflection of the lighthouse and the keepers home in the water.
My time was short and had to come home but you could go right on down to Oak Island and Old Baldie seeing all the NC lights.
Three pieces of advice.
1. DO NOT FORGET THE BUG SPRAY....you will need it!
2. Make reservations for ferries, and rooms (I had to sleep in the car as there were no accommodation to be had)
3. Eat well up around Nags Head, and pack plenty of snacks and beverages in your car. You will not find many places to eat.
Hope you find this helpful
E-mail me if you like and I can give you other details. Have fun, I know I did.
Pam

Pam B.