As a retailer of more than 1200 products, I am involved with quite a number of suppliers, as you can imagine. A few of these suppliers have sales reps, but the vast majority I deal with on a one-on-one basis.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages, however I prefer the one-on-one with the supplier for a number of reasons. First, whether the field rep is good or bad, in the vast majority of the time I receive my order much quicker by dealing direct. The time it takes the field rep to get his/her orders all together, (usually the rep handles many different lines and has to prepare orders for each supplier), then submit them in the proper way in order to get paid for them, in many cases it may take an entire day or two before they get submitted. Dealing directly with the supplier, in many cases I can order in the morning and have them on their way to me by that afternoon or next day. It also works the same way in the event that there is a problem with my order. It gets fixed MUCH quicker without having to deal with a rep in the middle.
Secondly, the field reps, as well as the company they work for, are getting a commission for every sale they make. Without a rep, it usually allows me to get a better price on my merchandise, or at the very least some sort of incentive program.
Thirdly, (although this doesn't apply to HL, but is important to me), I do some special orders with a few of my suppliers. Dealing one-on-one affords me the opportunity to deal directly with the artist or manufacturer which ensures they are getting my special order info correct the FIRST time and they know EXACTLY what I want. (Remember that game we all played as kids where something gets whispered in one ear, then passed on from person to person until it eventually gets back to the original quoter? Remember how it NEVER was anywhere remotely similar to the original? The same premise works that way when you deal with a middle-man.)
As for seeing new product, I visit a number of gift shows which are held on a regular basis almost everywhere throughout the country in order to view new products. Almost every supplier also has a website nowadays, as well, with photos of their products. Any good supplier will also provide samples to a retailer, especially if the quality and mark-up of the item is good, and the supplier knows that the representative item will pretty much sell itself. Also, as an established retailer, I get many catalogs, etc. from potential suppliers hawking their products.
Now HL may have to do more promoting of its products now that it doesn't have field reps. Tony has already stated that the company will be doing a large advertising campaign to get their name out there in the marketplace more prominently. I'm sure that without paying field rep commissions, there will be quite a bit of cash in the coffers to cover a significant ad campaign. And don't forget, not only consumers see these ads, also other potential retailers.
I, for one, am looking forward to the changes. A long as the communication between HL and me as a retailer is quick, thorough, open and responsive,
it should benefit all three tiers, (supplier, retailer, customer).

Roland Babineau, Editor
Lighthouse Encyclopedia
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/lighthouse_encyclopedia