Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Post a Poll"...on some threads but not others. #43759 01/13/03 08:59 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
If you review all the replies and new topics, you will notice a button at the bottom of the screen for "post a poll". This button only appears on certain threads and is not available on all threads.

I was wondering why it's only available on certain threads? Is it a software thing? Do the people who collect the server fee charge extra for each "post a poll"? Could it be made available on all threads or is it just too time consuming to do that?

I feel the availabilty of "post a poll" on all threads could add to the amount of new topics and discussions we have here at the Collector Forums.

What do you think?

confused Bob confused

Re: "Post a Poll"...on some threads but not others. #43760 01/13/03 11:33 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Polling can be turned on or off on each Forum. I have only turned it on in two so far.

Re: "Post a Poll"...on some threads but not others. #43761 01/13/03 02:07 PM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
The poll option is nice but lets not end up with 500,000 poll's. There should be some control or approval process.

Chuck laugh

bigdragon
Re: "Post a Poll"...on some threads but not others. #43762 01/13/03 07:04 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I doubt that we would ever reach a point of "too many polls".

Having a "Post a Poll" button on each thread opens up a variety of new things of interest to include even those people who normally don't express their feelings or opinions. We have many lurkers who are registered but don't post anything. Maybe they're just shy. If they are registered, then they can vote in a poll without having to post a reply or start a new topic.

I'm willing to bet that most people skip those threads that don't have any new posts since their last visit. Let's generate some interest in some of the slower threads by introducing polls to them.

What do you say, JC? You're the Boss.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: "Post a Poll"...on some threads but not others. #43763 01/14/03 01:09 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>I'm willing to bet that most people skip those threads that don't have any new posts since their last visit.<<

Voting in a poll does not increment a forums's Post counter or update the date for the poll message. Pithy message titles are probably the best hook. Ya still gotta do it the hard way, Bob. :-) But who really knows what drives contributions - you might try appending the words "and Free Beer" to all your message titles.

T

Re: "Post a Poll"...on some threads but not others. #43764 01/14/03 09:57 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hello! Is anybody home? Can you hear me now?

All you "keeper-of-the-records" types please enlighten me to how many polls have been posted at the CF since that option became available? My guess would be less than twenty and maybe around twelve or so. I don't believe we've burnt a hole through the server yet with everyone nationwide clicking the "vote" button.

If just one person can convince me of the harmful effects of having such an option on each thread, I'll withdraw my request. Otherwise, let's get the wheels in motion starting with the "dead-in-the-water" Anchor Bay thread.

Thank you for your time and consideration regarding this matter.

cool Bob cool

Re: "Post a Poll"...on some threads but not others. #43765 01/14/03 08:51 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
There should be some control or approval process.
Nope, that's pretty much censorship and I would cast a no vote to that idea. As long as the poll meets the forums good taste rule it should be permitted.

I think limiting which forums the polls can be started in is not such a bad thing. It keeps them all in a couple forums and makes them easier to find. After a couple of days if nobody has posted a message to the thread that contains the poll doesn't the poll roll out of view depending on your settings. My settings are set to 2 days and see yah! If they do this the polls really aren't very efficient in collecting data. Another idea would be to add another forum expressly for polling. This might curb the possibility of polls being repeated.

Re: "Post a Poll"...on some threads but not others. #43766 01/15/03 03:15 PM
shiulong Offline
Wacko
Wacko
My goal is not censorship, but some criterion for setting up a poll. For example "I think Race Rock is the greatest HL light ever. Yes or NO" would be a frivolous poll. We could end up with a poll for every HL release. Another example would be, “Which of the original 17 is the best?" Followed by a list of the original 17. These types of polls could be endless and of little value in my opinion. Now an example of a poll that would be of value, “At the Regional we are having dinner do you want steak or chicken.” laugh laugh

Chuck laugh

bigdragon
Re: "Post a Poll"...on some threads but not others. #43767 01/15/03 04:10 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote from above post:

"All you 'keeper-of-the-records' types please enlighten me to how many polls have been posted at the CF since that option became available? My guess would be less than twenty and maybe around twelve or so. I don't believe we've burnt a hole through the server yet with everyone nationwide clicking the 'vote' button."

I just can't fathom why anyone is against the "post-a-poll" in each thread. We have so few polls as it is. Why should anyone even think there is going to be some sort of abuse of this option.

If for some reason anyone dislikes a certain poll, click on reply and share your thoughts with all of us in that particular thread.

"Post-a-poll" is a tool to enable us to offer our thoughts and ask questions to see how other people feel about certain subjects.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: "Post a Poll"...on some threads but not others. #43768 01/16/03 09:03 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote from JC in another thread:

"I disabled the "Report This Post", thinking we were all adult enough not to need to report one another's posts to the Cruise Director."

And another quote from another thread:

"There have been a number of questions about polling. Right now Cruise Directors and Saints are the only ones who can create a poll. All registered members can participate in them, once created. The only forums were polls can be created are in the General Forum and the Fog Signal Building.

If you have an idea for a poll, send me an email with your ideas and I'll put together a poll. My interest is to be able to create a reliable poll that covers the choices to the underlying question without biasing the answers."

Putting a poll together takes time and some thought. Why should all requests for polls go back to the main man of the CF when you have several alleged assistants (Saints). I would call that "Micro-managing", and failing to delegate responsibilities.

We're adult enough to police our own posts then we should be adult enough to post our own polls.

"Heavy is the head that wears the crown!" I'll stop complaining now and won't post any polls unless I see a "post-a-poll" button at the bottom of the thread.

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,340 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users