Here's my reply to Mr. Bill Owens (or Linda A. Johnson, she was the return email address), witha carbon copy to OBC:

"Dear Mr. Owens (or is it Ms. Johnson, I'm confused),

Where exactly was the Currituck County government when the lighthouse needed saving 22 years ago? They sure weren't saving the lighthouse. It took a group of people that "do not reside in Currituck County" to save a landmark in Currituck County, that Currituck County sure didn't seem to care about. Now that the lighthouse is restored and drawing huge daily crowds, perhaps Currituck County sees a revenue potential.

The "non-profit group who could be here today and gone tomorrow" has "been there" for 22 years. Do you really believe that a group of dedicated conservationists that has spent the last 22 years of their hard work and dollars saving a national treasure in Currituck County, that Currituck County wouldn't save themselves, is just going to pack up and leave? I don't either.

Sir, I don't live in Currituck County, and I don't even live in North Carolina, I simply have a facination with lighthouses and their history. Taking the Currituck Beach Lighthouse away from the OBC is tantamount to theft.

I certainly don't expect you to change your mind. I just wanted to point out how wrong you are."

[This message has been edited by Larry (edited 07-16-2002).]