cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ponce de Leon Light - a review #34951 09/21/99 01:23 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
It was a rainy day in Orlando (where I'm on vacation this week) so we took a drive over to see some lighthouses this afternoon. I had planned to see Ponce first and then drive up to St. Augustine. Well, the museum associated with the Ponce light was an absolute surprise! It was so detailed and engaging that I ended up spending well over 2 and a half hours there...plus another 20 minutes or so at the excellent gift shop. I am sorry I didn't have enough time to drive up to St. Augustine, but I can honestly say that Ponce is a MUST SEE for any lighthouse enthusiast travelling in the vicinity of Cental Florida. St. Augustine will just have to wait until next year.

Doc John

[This message has been edited by DocJ44 (edited 09-20-99).]

Doc John
Re: Ponce de Leon Light - a review #34952 09/21/99 01:55 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Gotta agree, Doc.

I visited Ponce Inlet last year and was most impressed. Really like how they have made use of all the buildings of the light station for different parts of the museum. Beautiful tower, inside and out. Just wish could have gotten a better look at the lens in the tower.

Speaking of lens, how about the lens display. Probably the nicest I can think of, and a beautiful building with the glass front.

Well worth a long visist to this light station.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 09-23-99).]

Re: Ponce de Leon Light - a review #34953 09/23/99 12:30 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
I agree with your comments about the lens display Dave...one of the most comprehensive and well explained displays about the history of lenses and the differences between them. I can't say it emphatically enough but this IS one of the best lighthouse museums I have ever visited.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: Ponce de Leon Light - a review #34954 09/23/99 11:25 PM
Wildbird99 Offline
Add my "pat on the back" for the Ponce Inlet folks. Not only is the museum (and tower!) first-class, so are the people who run the place. When I visited the light in July, it was great. The light's historian, Tom Taylor, gave me a great tour of the grounds, exhibits and tower. What a pleasure to visit such a place. I'll be back next year.

St Augustine is nice, too. It's not that far from Ponce and is definitely worth the trip.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,095 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users