It’s tragically unfortunate that you experienced such a devastating experience with E-bay, Stephanie. I did see the post, but immediately discounted it from any purchase consideration.

It’s true that there are folks out there that will try to “pull the wool over your eyes”, but it’s also true that people are basically honest. I, unlike others on the Forum, will work with E-bay. However, there are some things you might look for, in order not to get burnt again – maybe it’s like an amicable divorce – if both parties agree, no harm done unless children are involved.

Here’s what I do:

• Look at the number of completed sales of the seller. If it’s in the thousands, they probably don’t have a clue of what’s going on.
• Take a look at the responses – not particularly meaningful, only if it has to do with Harbour Lights.
• Pay close attention to the terms of payment. If it indicates that you will be under penalty of death should you default, avoid them.
• Dennis and Daniel and Rich gave you some good advice. Listen to them.
• Don’t depend upon the pictures. They could be any picture of the sculpture that you are interested in purchasing.
• Write to the seller and repeat what you perceive to be the terms of purchase and especially your perception of the item you are bidding upon. NO RESPONSE? Forget it.

Should you agree to everything and pay the monies, once you receive the sculpture look at the piece carefully:

• Shinny paint indicates that the piece has been altered – especially with the older issues. This can easily be determined by looking at it with a laser light or any flashlight for that matter. The older pieces have a rather dull paint.
• A magnifying glass tends to be very helpful when looking at the piece. Chips and things that just don’t look right are a dead giveaway.
• Read as much as you can about Harbour Lights and their respective productions. They represent a fantastic company and Bill Younger is a wonderful and conscientious person – as are his entire family.

Bottom line? I would use the Forum first and foremost. They are good people. Anywhere else and you want to be careful. Just hang in there. What’s past is past and can’t be revived.
Bob