Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The leaning tower of..... #22090 10/14/02 09:07 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well, I.O.'s due back tomorrow after his two week vacation in San Diego and it seems as though my two week vacation wink has been filled with nothing but lighthouse duty. Not that that's bad, but this included cleaning the curios and other dislay areas in anticipation of getting out the Christmas pieces. Yesterday and today I did the curios. Man, if I'd realized what a pain that is, I may never have started collecting!

Anyway, at one point today I had Boon Island and Cape May positioned next to each other. I'd say Boon Island's tower has a lean to the left and Cape May has an even more pronounced lean to the right. At least my pieces have. What about yours?

Now these are both really nice pieces and I just repositioned them so these leans wouldn't be so noticeable.

Re: The leaning tower of..... #22091 10/14/02 10:09 PM
TexasLights Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I had not noticed before, but my Boon Island does look like it leans just a little. It is so slight that I'd really have to have a T-square by it to tell. eek Terry

Re: The leaning tower of..... #22092 10/14/02 10:55 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well, I really don't want to admit this, but I did put a T-square on the shelf to check mine and found that my tower appears to be perfectly straight (Praise the Lord). The house on the left of the tower (away from the boat house)has a definite lean to the left of the piece. The house on the right appears to have an ever so slight lean to the right.

I have set this post to self destruct in 15 minutes so that I don't have to ever admit that I actually used a T-square to check out a light. Although I have to admit, "it was fun".

How do I get myself into these things?

Bert wink

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: The leaning tower of..... #22093 10/14/02 11:13 PM
TexasLights Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Actually, on second look I think my tower is straight but I am leaning due to having enjoyed happy hour! laugh Terry

Re: The leaning tower of..... #22094 10/15/02 03:01 PM
Dick Johnson Offline
I have noticed a lean on several pieces in the past, however I think it is more related to the way they come out of the mold, than anything. My best example is Cape Henry where I have two pieces. One piece is perfectly straight, but on the other both towers appear to lean outward. It is almost like they were taken out of the mold before they hardened, and were forced outward like someone removed them by holding the outsides and this motion bent them outward.

I think I remember hearing that they also grind the bottoms to make them sit flat and if the grinder was not careful you could introduce a lean at this point.

I have found that there always seems to be pieces that are a little different in some respect and if you are concerned about the differences you should probably always compare pieces for the best of the lot if possible. However, if you are like me and are trying to keep the numbers matched this takes away the ability to pick and choose. I would assume this is also true for those that have their pieces shipped to them by a dealer, and can't look them over.

Re: The leaning tower of..... #22095 10/16/02 02:18 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
My Sharps Island has a very pronounced lean. wink

Re: The leaning tower of..... #22096 11/05/02 12:40 AM
smcclure Offline
The most pronounced leaning tower I notice is on Hilton Head. I have two of them, and they both have the same lean. I didn't, however, resort to the T-Square. --Scott.

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 967 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users