A paint master (2 made) are unpainted and sent to HLs artist to paint. One is then retained at HLs and the other is sent back to the factory as a paint guide. The factory than paints 2 Counter samples using the paint master as a guide. One is retained at the factory and the second is sent to HLs to approve the paint job before final production begins.

I think your Master Mold is the same as the Paint Master or the Counter Sample, but, I'm not sure as I've never seen one. I do know that the Paint Master has no felt on the bottom, has the artist's initials and date written on the bottom of the piece. It also may or may not have metal railings or metal pieces. I'm fortunate enough to have 4 Paint Masters (Amelia Island GLOW, Ballinacourty, Bell Rock and Hilton Head Range) and 2 Counter Samples (Reunion Hooper Strait and Cheboygan Crib). The Counter sample have felt on the bottom along with notes and initials. One day I may find someone to trade a couple of these pieces for a dark green tip Original Hatteras.

Artist proofs may or may not command such a high price depending on what the artist proof is (Hatteras & Coquille would be a premimum). Otherwise, there are still APs available at LD marked way down. Again, it's in the eyes of the buyer what something is worth.

Again, this is only my opinion and it only equates to the Ten Top valued lighthouses looking through my eyes.

Rich