While stationed at Coast Guard Headquarters in Washington, my last duty was the procurement and replacement documentation (SHIPALTS) of electronics equipment on many of the classes of Coast Guard Cutters and small boats. The Eagle was one of my ships that I was responsible for. During the early part of the 80's the Eagle came to the Coast Guard Yards in Baltimore to have a complete retrofit of electronics, painting and replacement of the "original" teak decking from when she was built. I was fortunate enough to get quite a bit of the removed decking from the Chief Boatswain Mate for my efforts. I had desk nameplates made for all of my shipboard electronics division people (13) with their name and ranks engraved on brass plates and also had wall plaques made up for each one with a brass plate in the middle("Original Teak Decking from the USCGC Eagle") and a silver coin from 1976 on each side of the brass plate (one side with a picture of the Eagle and the otherside showing "1976 Bicentenial"). I still have mine in my lighthouse room as a very nice reminder of my time in the Coast Guard and of the Eagle.

Rich