Print Thread
Moving day at Chicamacomico #191716 02/17/05 12:04 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline OP
OP Offline

Re: Moving day at Chicamacomico #191717 02/17/05 12:54 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quite frankly, I was originally very opposed to this idea. I feel that the buildings are more able to be accurately percieved in their original locations, not "interpretive areas."

However, it now seems I am wrong; the smaller buildings being moved were not in their original locations. If this is so, then I am all for this idea - if they weren't in the right place in the first place, then maybe interpretive centres are okay.

But if they are being moved from their original locations, than I think that this is a bad idea that is detracting from the historical significance of the site.

Re: Moving day at Chicamacomico #191718 02/17/05 01:42 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
"The cookhouse and a water tank will also be relocated to their proper positions near the 1874 building."

"Relocating the buildings in that configuration will provide interpreters with one site that focuses on the period from 1874 to 1911."

From those statements it would appear that the new arrangement will be historically accurate for the period they wish to interpret.

Something that was not mentioned in the article, but was told to me by one of Chicamacomico's docents several years ago was that they are losing frontage to the ocean every year. Just like their lighthouse neighbors down the way, moves may be needed to save the structures for the future.

Re: Moving day at Chicamacomico #191719 02/17/05 11:09 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Posted on the web site... Chicamacomico LSS
Quote:
Our purpose is to restore, preserve, protect, educate and interpret the rich history of these valiant men and their dedication to the U.S. Life Saving Service, as well as interpreting the history of the buildings and artifacts. We are open to the public from mid-April through November, and provide our visitors with tours, programs, reenactments and special events.
Quote:
Historic Buildings Are Being Moved 02.16.05
Four out-buildings and one water tank located on the grounds of Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station are in the process of being moved, which will result in two separate historic districts. The small boathouse, the tractor shed, and the horse stable will be moved closer to the 1911 Station; the 1874 cookhouse and water tank will be relocated adjacent to the 1874 Station. These changes will help recreate a more historically accurate site. "What we're trying to do is make Chicamacomico a living history site. And to do that, we have to move the buildings to where they ought to be", said Ken Wenberg, Executive Director. As a bonus, a 1907 house with strong ties to Chicamacomico was donated by Midgett Realty, and funds to move the structure were donated by Bette Gray and Trish Midgett. Once it is relocated to the site, interpretation of early life on Hatteras Island can take place. It’s not often that historical structures are relocated (remember the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse move in 1999?) and excitement is running high this project continues. The relocation began on Feb. 9, 2005 and should be completed by Feb. 21, 2005.
I see this relocation as an excellent thing, and am thrilled that it's finally happening! Several of these buildings sat smack against the highway.

Chicamacomico LSS opens for the season, April 18!
If you're on the Outer Banks this year, please make plans to visit.

Judy smile
Proud member of the Chicamacomico Historical Society.

Judy
Re: Moving day at Chicamacomico #191720 02/18/05 11:48 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Geez, the way the re-introductions are going with Harbour Lights, can we expect to see an updated version released this year? wink

Mike

Re: Moving day at Chicamacomico #191721 02/18/05 05:47 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
From what it looks like, this is an excellent project then. It should be very interesting to see how the station is when done. I would love to go back soon! Maybe in April...I might propose a trip down from Carova to the bottom of Hatteras Island (not Ocracoke...too time consuming to get there), seeing all the Lifesaving Stations.

BTW, I am going to try and move this to the LSS forum, where it belongs. But I'm not sure if I can move from other forums to my forum, so if not, could someone who can do so?

Re: Moving day at Chicamacomico #191722 02/21/05 11:33 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I wrote and asked about the 1907 building that is being moved onto the property, because I wondered about it, and the question was raised on Lighthousing.net . I've just posted the response there, and thought folks here would also be interested...
Quote:

We're SO THRILLED to be finally moving the buildings! Although it's taking a little longer than expected (lots of over wash, soggy grounds, etc.) the move is underway!

The 1907 Palmer Midgett house is still in its original location...for about 4-7 days longer. Just south of the Water Treatment facility (next door to Chicamacomico - south side), on the ocean side. Two stories, 3 bedrooms. A wonderful example of early 1900's architecture on Hatteras, with some original furnishings inside.

Palmer Midgett was once the superintendent of the US Coast Guard for the 6th District. He raised his family in Rodanthe. We've got a wonderful photograph of Palmer (in his dress whites) posing with the crew of the Pea Island Station, probably from the 1920's or so. Still have a lot of details to learn.

Eventually the house will be restored, although it's in pretty good shape right now. We will eventually refurbish it with period furniture, open it to the public, interpret life on Hatteras Island during that period. Linda Malloy of Chicamacomico LSS, 2/21/05
Chicamacomico LSS opens for the season, April 18. If you happen to be on OBX before then, you would probably be able to pull into the driveway.

Judy smile

Judy

Moderated by  Lighthouser 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,209 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users