I'm kind of embarrassed to say this, but I just saw a picture of Big Mac for the first time. Somehow, I've never seen her image, just heard the stories.

I would have to say that that is the most beautiful military vessel I have ever seen. She has an elegance to her, an abundance of curves.

Having seen those images, I would now have to say that in comparison, I think that Baby Mac is a very good looking ship. However, in appearance, she pales in comparison. There are so many more squared-off edges, sharp corners, and big blocks.

Making an analogy to my ship forte, I would say it is like comparing QE2, with her beautiful curving hull, abundant outdoor space, and stateliness to QM2. QM2 may be the biggest ship in the world, with the world class spas and grand public spaces, but when given a choice, I would rather voyage on QE2. I still love QM2 - a lot - and would happily voyage on her, but I am drawn to QE2 because of her sense of history.

The new Mac is nice. Very nice. I absolutely think she's a great ship. But she's also the QM2 in this situation. In the end, you are drawn to the original. Compared to their younger siblings, Mackinaw I and QE2 evoke some feeling that, no matter how old they may be, makes you even more drawn to them.

I'm sure that, over the next decades, Mackinaw II will have many chances to build up a history and a legend. But I still think that, as much as we love her, we get a much bigger sense of awe seing Big Mac.

Just my feeling...