In June, a friend and I attended the Brickworld Lego convention in Wheeling, IL. just northwest of Chicago. We visited a few lighthouses along the way.

As I mentioned elsewhere, we took the self-guided tour of Old Michigan City. Saw some familar names on the spiral staircase leading to the lantern room.

I shot the Michigan City pier light from the seawall of the waterway near OMC. I also walked around the marina and shot from the other side, but I like this image better. It was overcast and a little foggy over the water.

In Chicago I really wanted to visit Navy Pier and see the Chicago Harbor lighthouse. The Chicago Harbor Southeast Guidewall lighthouse is just across the way from Navy Pier, probably about 200 feet. Does anyone know if is possible to walk out to this lighthouse?

We then took a 30 minute sightseeing cruise around Chicago Harbor. Somewhat foggy which really ruined looking at the Chicago skyline. The cruise boat did pass fairly close to the Chicago Harbor lighthouse but didn't go out past the lighthouse into Lake Michigan. Perhaps other cruises do. (There were about ten cruise ships offering water tours.)

During the cruise, one of the Chicago crib lights was faintly visible through the fog, but it isn't really visible in any of my photographs.

Because of car trouble later in the trip, we were not able to visit the Grosse Point Lighthouse or the Waukegan Harbor Lighthouse. Perhaps another time.