Next Thread
Print Thread
Adding Pictures To Posts #183255 08/08/02 11:22 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I seem to need help.

I used the method that was discussed sometime ago in the forums to add pictures to the posts, but it does not seem to be working.

The pictures seem to be there when I check the post immediately after putting them in, but when i return after going to another forum they disapear.

I have them at webphotos.com and used the method that Gary talked about but it does not seem to be working.

Can anybody assist me in this?

I have posted a link to my albums on webphotos.com for now, but would like to post individual pictures.

I think I may have a line on the problem as I'm rereading the instructions- how do I determine if my pictures are 72dpi and if they are not how do I adjust them?

Dennis

Re: Adding Pictures To Posts #183256 08/09/02 12:45 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Dennis, webphoto has been a bust for most of us, same problem as you have. I've been using clubphoto, works well- There are others. If you have a photo editing program you can make all the adjustments you need. I'm not much help here, Terry Forrest walked me through all this- but I think if you upload to clubphoto you'll be on your way to success! Good luck! smile

Bud
Re: Adding Pictures To Posts #183257 08/09/02 01:06 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm working on adding a feature here that will permit users to upload images through their browser. No FTP. Give me a few days to make sure it's bulletproof.

John

Re: Adding Pictures To Posts #183258 08/09/02 01:30 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I mentioned the problem to my son and he said he'd try and set something up like a server or a program here when he get's back from CA next week.

I have to give up for now- i've got to get up shortly (4 AM ) to take him to the airport.

Thanks for the help.

Dennis

Re: Adding Pictures To Posts #183259 08/09/02 05:58 PM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
Dennis you can store and use them from your ISP site. They (I use Yahoo) provide space to store pics, I have stored some in Yahoo briefcase and you can use the pic page URL to copy the pics to the Forum.

terry

Re: Adding Pictures To Posts #183260 08/09/02 06:13 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
John's gotcha covered Dennis, just give him a few days to make sure there are no unexpected suprises before he makes it available to everybody.

Re: Adding Pictures To Posts #183261 08/09/02 06:34 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Terry,

Good idea- only one small problem. I don't have an ISP site. I use a cable modem and don't get anything like that with it.

Sean thanks for the info. I actually have heard from John and between his help and Dave's I've gotten at least one picture to get into the posts.

Part of my problem is the files are way too big and I have to make them much smaller before anything will work.

It's a slow process, but it coming along.

Here's the only one I've mastered so far

Dennis

Re: Adding Pictures To Posts #183262 08/10/02 06:10 AM
RFoster Offline
Nice shot of Warwick Light Dennis. This reminds me of the Reunion bus trips that John put together in '98, HL Providence Reunion.

I like the idea that you caught the boat going by, nice touch.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Adding Pictures To Posts #183263 08/10/02 11:51 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Ron,

I'd like to take credit for it, but I don't even remember seeing the boat until i looked at the picture later.

I did make a montage of a sailboat passing behind the Portland Breakwater Light which I have to work with and resize.

Dennis

Re: Adding Pictures To Posts #183264 08/10/02 11:56 PM
Gary Martin Offline
I may have been the first of John's guinea pigs (aka cruise directors and saints) to try out his new system for uploading photos and the linking them via a URL to threads here on the Collector's Forums. The system worked pretty well as I commented on one of the pics that I posted using John's new system on the Marblehead Lighthouse thread that I posted today.

I would suggest that folks create a folder on their hard drives and store the photos in that folder that you're going to upload using the method that John has promised to make generally available within a week or so. You're going to want to be able to copy the exact file name of the photo that you uploaded when you go to access it to URL link to post it on a thread here on the Collector's Forums. That way you won't have extraneous spaces, punctuation marks, etc. that the system won't like that can keep you from getting to your photos.

I'll run a couple more tests over the next day or two as I've got some other photos that I want to upload to here. John will get plenty of feedback from someone intentionally trying to screwup so that everything can be made as bullet proof as possible before it becomes generally available.

Gary

Re: Adding Pictures To Posts #183265 08/11/02 12:20 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Sorry, Gary. Saint Sean and I gave it a try several days ago. Dennis' pic above also uses the new setup. Once the details are finalized and things set up, this is going to be a wonderful benefit for members courtesy of John Chidester and Lighthousekeepers.

Dave

Re: Adding Pictures To Posts #183266 08/11/02 12:34 AM
Gary Martin Offline
Like I said, Dave, "...may have been..." not that it matters a whit. This system will be quite nice once John releases it, and convenient for many. I'll keep on trying to break it and find holes so that John can make it truly bulletproof for everyone and hopefully no body will have problems first time out of the starting gate with it.

I would suggest the people downsize their files from the limit that John mentions in the version that came to me. I seldom post anything to the web as a jpeg larger than 100-150 Kbytes and that gives you all the resolution you need for an image. Anything larger and download times for folks not on a cable modem or DSL line are going to get long.

Gary

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, RickJax), 1,477 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users