cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pt Sur Photos to support Randy's Nomination of Pt Sur as an HL Minature #181284 02/16/02 02:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I had the opportunity to visit Pt Sur on a beautiful Saturday morning last August. There was a lot of fog going down the coast highway that fortunately cleared in time for the tour that morning! Great time and would heartily recommend it to anyone having the opportunity to take it.

The floor of the lantern room is becoming adorned with deck prisms placed there to honor donors of $1000 or more toward the restoration and preservation of Pt Sur.

Lighthouses, not surprisingly, attract people who share our interest in them from all over the world. The fellow stepping out of the door was from France.

Looking across at Pt Sur from the coast highway with a 300 mm lens.

Finally, a shot of sunset at Big Sur from a high vantage point along the coast highway looking across to Pt Sur using a 400 mm lens. The milky look of the surf was caused by a long exposure, about 30 sec at f32 to be sure that I got the light from the lantern room as it swept over the ocean. The points of the star are due to the blades in the iris of my lens and not a star filter. The more blades in the iris, the more points in the star!

Hope you enjoy these.

Gary

Re: Pt Sur Photos to support Randy's Nomination of Pt Sur as an HL Minature #181285 02/16/02 03:15 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Those are some outstanding images, Gary. The best shots I could get were with a 300 MM from About the same vantage point as yours. Seeing your shots and all the others lets me know how much we missed by not being there for the tour. Oh well, maybe another day? Imust agree this would make a great L.E.

------------------
Bud Schrader

Bud
Re: Pt Sur Photos to support Randy's Nomination of Pt Sur as an HL Minature #181286 02/16/02 10:39 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Gary,

Judging by the difference in the look of the Lighthouse they have goten much more of the Restoration done since I took my pictures.

They had started the perliminary work on those Prisms when i was there, but the cleaning up and repainting of the Lighthouse itself had not begun.

Great pictures.

Dennis

Re: Pt Sur Photos to support Randy's Nomination of Pt Sur as an HL Minature #181287 02/16/02 10:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If I recall correctly, the lantern room is completely restored and beautiful Dennis, and work on some of the other buildings at the light station is also progressing quite well.

I have to be back out in that part of California on business in April that will span a weekend in between when I can get in some photography, so I'll no doubt do the Pt Sur tour again and will, of course, photograph. Joyce, the gal who did the tour I took was great about letting me photograph to my heart's content!

Re: Pt Sur Photos to support Randy's Nomination of Pt Sur as an HL Minature #181288 02/16/02 02:46 PM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
Was this the gal you took the photo of the last time you were out there? BTW, great pictures as usual - even if I have seen some of them before!!

------------------
Terry (Teresa) Forrest

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest
Re: Pt Sur Photos to support Randy's Nomination of Pt Sur as an HL Minature #181289 02/16/02 03:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, that would be Joyce, and I promised her that I wouldn't post the photo of her clowning around for the silly photographer anywhere!

Gary

Re: Pt Sur Photos to support Randy's Nomination of Pt Sur as an HL Minature #181290 02/16/02 03:30 PM
1of3trees@prodigy.net Offline
Well, knowing you and your ethics very well, Gary, I know you won't do it, if you said you wouldn't!

------------------
Terry (Teresa) Forrest

Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest
Re: Pt Sur Photos to support Randy's Nomination of Pt Sur as an HL Minature #181291 02/16/02 10:51 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Oh what a difference restoration makes! I, like Dennis, was on a tour or Pt. Sur several summers ago. Restoration work had just begun....now, I have to return to see it all prettyfied....what about the house, has work been done there as well.

Great photography as usual, Gary..anyone who is going to that part of CA should work in a tour of Pt. Sur, it is very interesting.
Derith

Re: Pt Sur Photos to support Randy's Nomination of Pt Sur as an HL Minature #181292 02/16/02 11:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Derith,

When I was last at Pt Sur in August, they were just getting things going on the restoration of the keeper's residence. I hope when I'm back out there in April that I'll find considerable restoration having been done! I'll certainly photograph extensively and will post what I get here after I get back!

Gary

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,196 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users