I've had a Bogen 3221 for several years and it is a good piece of gear. Bogen makes a very nice strap that works well with this model and I've found it convenient when lugging the thing around - easy on and off and it doesn't get in your way.

I've tried various pan and tilt heads - go with what you're comfortable with. For me that is an Arca Swiss ball head. Silky smooth to operate - less fidgety than a P&T for me and definitely more robust for larger lenses than most other ballheads. I think the real trick is to try 'em out and don't hesistate to return if the ergonomics are not comfortable to you.

If you find yourself mounting and dismounting the camera on the tripod/head combo you'll be paying close attention to the release mechanism. I never got comfortable with the so called 'quick release' plates of various kinds. Recommend taking a look at the mounting system from Really Right Stuff . Makes it easy to switch between tripod, monopod, and hand held. Excellent quality, simple to use.

__
/im