Print Thread
Top Ten On Ebay for December 2005 #146032 01/10/06 10:43 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
1. Cape Hatteras * HL 102 * #244 / 266 $4309.59

Quote:
This auction is for one (1) Cape Hatteras lighthouse with the dark hunter green ventilator bal, gray base and green felt. # 244 / 266

The first pieces were painted in California and then production was moved to Canada. In Canada, another group of pieces were painted before production was stopped. This lighthouse appears to be from the second group of lighthouses that were hand painted in Canada. The piece is in mint condition and has the lightening rod. It comes from a smoke free environment.
When I saw the results of this bid my first thought was there must be a black tip version. Many of the bidders for this one all ready have the white tip and dark tip and maybe they have the black tip and not the dark green tip. The seller claims to have a black tip and will have it up for bid later on. Time will tell.

Ch-1 is the most valued and sought after light made by HL. There are definitely many HL lights that are rarer but none are as popular or will they hold their value over time as the CH-1. This is one Harbour light that will always retain its value.

CH-1 dark tip lowest bid on ebay $3800
CH-1 dark tip highest bid on ebay $4309.59
Green book value $4800

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harbour-Lights-Cape-...1QQcmdZViewItem

2. Coquille River * HL 111 $2,224.00

Quote:
This lighthouse appears to be from the California mold, but painted in Canada.
(The piece has a three-paneled door (California) but the box is white w/ Castle Studios printed on it (Canada))

This piece has a three-paneled door. It is in mint condition and is signed by B. Younger
It has the lightening rod at the top of the tower.
It includes the Certificate of Authenticity and original white box.
It does not appear to be numbered. The number (xxx / 5,500) is blank.
Obviously from the size of the final bid at least two of the bidders thought that there was something special about this one. A standard 3-digit Canadian Coquille goes for $1500 to $1800, while $2000 to $2500 is the going bid for a 2-digit Coquille.
From earlier discussions we have talked how that a lighthouse with out a number on it could be an artist proof. The more common possibility is that the number was rubbed off. The value of a coquille with a rubbed off number would be in the $1200 to $1400 range.

Did the winner win an AP?

1. The first thing that we need is to rule out that the number was once there. A thorough inspection is required making sure no sign of a number is visible. The second thing would be to check the area for smudges or rub spots. I am sure that the bidders would have done that by way of pictures.

2. The second thing is to check for any unusual painting variations. I check the paint scheme with the different Coquilles that I have logged from ebay and it matches the higher number Coquilles. (400 and up

3. The next thing would to check the felt for any writings like: Artist proof or Paint sample. The only writing on it is Bills signature and it is dated 05. Nothing unusual with that.

4. Next check the box. There is no number or Artist proof written on it and the box is a white Castle Studios box.

5. The final thing to check is the felt. All the Coquilles that I have checked on ebay have the green flocking that doesn’t quite meet the edge. That is the fingerprint that it came from Canada. All the first 17 harbour Lights Artist proofs were made in California and have the gray felt that covered the entire bottom. By reviewing the picture the seller has provided, we can see that the felt covers the complete bottom of the figurine. Now comes the unusual part. The felt is green and appears to cover the entire bottom.

Conclusion

The blank number (if there are no signs of smudge or faded number) would lead me to believe there is a strong possibility that this could be an Artist Proof. Even if it wasn’t an Artist Proof, a blank number would but it in the price range of what it sold for.

Now the felt. The felt covers the entire bottom of the coquille. It is green and it appears to be different from the standard Canadian felt. I have seen a few early Harbour Lights with the full green felt but this felt looks a little different. I would have to see the felt in person to make a final judgment.

At this time I can only guess. I have many ideas but the one I am leaning toward the most is that it is an Artist Proof that the felt was added on at a latter time. I also feel that probably the words Artist proof (or paint sample) is written under the felt. This may have been the paint sample used for the Typical "Canadian made".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6236269563&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

3. Cape Hatteras HL 102 #94 / 266 $588

Quote:
A hard to find piece. This one is number 94 of the couple hundred plus that were made. Although it is in good condition it does have a very small chip as seen in the photos. Also, the top dome where the antenna was has been ground. Also a few light paint flakes on the roof. Other than stated above, no other damage. Please see pictures. Although not in perfect condition, still very restorable and worthwhile.
I feel that this damaged CH-1 is worth between $500 and $800. The buyer could have it restored for a couple of a hundred and turn around and sell if for $2300 to $2800. $2800 to $3500 if he doesn’t say it is restored.
I feet that this damaged one should have been left for a collector that doesn’t all ready have a CH-1 and never will have a chance at one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HARBOUR-LIGHTS-CAPE-...1QQcmdZViewItem

4. Portland Head Maine HL-125 $382.75

Quote:
Piece # 690 / 5500. Includes original certificate of authenticity and
Comes in the original box. Made in Canada. The piece has never been on display
And is in immaculate condition.
Portland Heads have been running between $150 to $300. Hasn’t been much price difference between the Canadian and Malaysian until now. I assume since there are over 1200 Canadian Portland heads made that that is enough to keep the price down. I feel that the Canadian Portland head is starting to rebound and should run at least $100 more than the Malaysian if not more. . I hope to see $400 to $500 in the near future. We now know there are two felt variations of the Canadian Portland and this should help to add to its demand. Usually the Malaysian has the better paint job, but when it comes to the Portland some of he Malaysian Portland Heads have a paint flaking problem. This was caused from it being painted in a high moisture environment. Most Malaysians made are fine but there are some out there with flaking roofs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harbour-Lights-Portl...1QQcmdZViewItem

5. Harbour Lights Ocracoke $306.66

Quote:
This is a previously displayed light in pristine condition. No chips, paint flakes or discoloration. Although the original box is not available we can provide another period Harbour Lights Box One of the outer banks most popular lighthouses.
It is great to see the price of the Ocracoke back were it should be. The Malaysian Ocracoke has gone for as low as $184 and as high as $600.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harbour-Lights-Ocrac...1QQcmdZViewItem

6. BARNEGAT,NJ L/E LIGHTHOUSE #139 US $270.00

Quote:
This SIGNED mint condition retired Barnegat, NJ Lighthouse is No. 11 of 5500. It is the lowest #'d circulated piece in this 1993 MINT WATER version limited edition. The first 10 were kept by Harbour Lights as artist proofs. It is in absolute perfect condition and has never been displayed. It comes with its original certificate of authenticity as well as its original box.
The fact that it is the number 11 ran the price up. Green waters go around $150 to $200. The blue waters are going for around retail. Number 11’s usually bring in top price and it is not unusually to see an 11, 12 or even a teenager bring in an extra $50 to $100 or even more.
Remember the story that I have told about the number 11 cape lookout going for $275 on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HARBOUR-LIGHTS-BARNE...1QQcmdZViewItem

7. #134 Key West, FL $264.59

Quote:
Rare Canadian Version Harbour Lights #134 Key West, FL Limited Edition # 729 of 5500 pieces. Retired 3/95 Original "White" Harbour Lights Box. Piece is in excellent condition (no nicks, scrapes, or fading) and includes the Certificate of Authenticity & Tent Card. does not appear to have been displayed. (Original price tag still on the base)
This is the lowest that I have seen a Canadian Key West go for on ebay. The usual range is from $300 to $400. I keep saying this, where is the green door version? This one looks teal to me just like the Malaysian version.
Sorry lost the short cut.

8. Big Bay Point $227.76

Quote:
You are bidding on a Harbour Lights Light House Collectable Figure Christmas 1995 Big Bay Point #700. This item is in good cosmetic condition with no chips or cracks and was kept in the original box. Comes with certificate of authenticity.
No surprises here. Big bays have been going for $200 to $250 since 1997.

9. PORTLAND HEAD, ME #125 $190.26

Quote:
Limited edition lighthouse, #2392/5500. This piece is in mint condition with hand painted tag and comes in its original box. Produced exclusively for Younger & Associates.
Going price for a Malaysian made Portland Head.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harbour-Lights-PORTL...1QQcmdZViewItem

10. New London Ledge HL129 $183.51

Quote:
Harbour Lights New London Ledge Connecticut
Piece # 635 / 5500 Includes original certificate of authenticity.
Comes in the original box. The piece has never been on display.
It is in immaculate condition.
This is pretty much the going price for Canadian green water with original castle studio box. They use to go for $350. This is the second gray felt new London Ledge that I have seen on ebay. The fact that it has the gray felt I would have to lean more toward this one being a bargain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harbour-Lights-New-L...1QQcmdZViewItem

DANIEL
Re: Top Ten On Ebay for December 2005 #146033 01/10/06 11:30 PM
beachcomber Offline
More words of wisdom from Daniel - super report, Daniel! Why don't you put out a collectors guide to HL?!

beachcomber
Re: Top Ten On Ebay for December 2005 #146034 01/11/06 12:38 AM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Daniel, I learn more and more about our "addiction" with each of your reports! wink
Keep them up and THANK YOU!!!!
Rick laugh

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,196 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users