Quote:
Daniel, how do we determine that this 102R, flag#3867 is a Malaysian piece, rather than a Canadian piece?
Harbour lights use to Antique their early lights. (Try to make them look authentic) It eventually was stopped because collectors wanted a lighthouse that look new. The very early antiquing that was done on the California made and the very early Canadians. The process was a splashing of black paint and is very popular with collectors of today. Another type of Antiquing was using a coat of shellac. This would give the lighthouse a yellowish look. I haven’t logged all the lights that have used this type of antiquing but since I own a Malaysian Hatteras with the yellow shellac coating on it I particularly watch the Hatteras.
In my observance of following the Hatteras on ebay I have only noticed that type of antiquing on the Malaysian. It is not on all but some.

So when I saw the yellow cast on the Cape Hatteras I new that there was a good chance it was Malaysian made.

The second reason is that I have logged in over fifty 102’s on a spreadsheet and have pinpointed the change in production from Canada to Malaysia at a production number before this one. Yes it is possible to have some overlapping but I have not found a Canadian Hatteras with a number this high.

If you were looking for the Shellac Antiquing for the Hatteras, I would look around the numbers 3800 to 4400.

DANIEL