Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cape Hatteras, Mold II (HL 102 #145509 06/12/03 11:01 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I wrote to Harbour Lights about this, but their response only added to my dilemma. I'm hoping somebody with more knowledge than I have about Harbour Lights and their practices in the beginning can throw some light on the subject.

I have a Cape Hatteras, Mold II, #1932 that has 2-tone gray paint on the outside edges and the flag, dark rouge walk leading to the base of the lighthouse, and the heavy gray felt bottom that does not meet the edges of the piece, which I believe to be a Canadian mold with rod (there is no sticker on the bottom, nor do I have the original box).

I also have a Cape Hatteras, Mold II, #304 that has light tan paint on the outside edges and flag, pale red (pink?) walk leading to the base of the lighthouse, the rubberized felt material that meets the edges of the piece, and a "Made in Malaysia" sticker on the bottom. I believe this piece is a Malaysian mold with rod.

I'm compiling a collection of older, rare editions of Harbour Lights sculptures and selling duplicates of all the pieces I've collected over the past six or seven years. Serial number 1932 has all the features a Canadian piece should have, but its serial number is higher by some 1600+ numbers than the Malaysian piece.

Harbour Lights response was ". . .this is a mystery. We did do some 'fill ins' back then but to be honest, we did not keep accurate records back then."

Sure would like some enlightenment.

Thanks,
Sandy confused

Re: Cape Hatteras, Mold II (HL 102 #145510 06/13/03 11:23 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Of all the Harbour Lights made, I think there is more variation in the painting of the Cape Hatteras Mold 2 than any other piece.

Some of the bushes have 'flowers' others are just green. On a very few pieces the black and white stripes are reversed (what should be black was white and vice versa.)

Except for that stripe variation, I don't think the painting variations affects the value of the piece. Unless the painting job is bad or worn off.

You can check on the countries of origins and see some photos of variations from this link:

www.HarbourLights.com/modifications/

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,620 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users