On the Island Clipper, plan to bring your winter coat or a coat with a removable liner. Start with a t-shirt as the bottom layer because it can get warm on land on Rock Island and be very cold out on Lake Michigan. Wear a sweatshirt or sweater on top of the tshirt. Bring light gloves or mittens. A throw away poncho would be good and/or a raincoat. Be prepared for all types of weather and bring a bag to put clothes in when de-layered. Also, warm socks and hiking shoes would be good. If it rains, a poncho over the raincoat works well to protect the camera. A baseball cap also helps protect the camera.

Then, listen to the weather reports and see what one actually needs to bring.

The last time I went on the Island Clipper trip during the Walk in May, it was cold in the morning when we left, very cold on Lake Michigan, a little warmer once we reached the Bay of Green Bay, and very warm hiking on Rock Island. I didn't start the trip wearing my winter coat liner, but put it on once we were over water. On Rock Island I was comfortable with the t-shirt and jeans and those people who wore turtle necks were very warm and uncomfortable. Then on the return trip, it got cold again over water and I ended up putting everything back on including the winter coat and liner.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)