Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alpena Lighthouse Festival Images.. #125124 10/09/04 11:55 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

The day started out overcast and blustery.. Eventually the sun did break through the clouds occasionally.

The new digs that the festival is housed in are nice. Sue and I didn't make the event last year which was the first year for the new location...

It looks like that guy in the back wants to say Hi!

Jim Johnston took advantage of the opportunity to inform Bill the latest about Pottawatomie Lightouse since his booth was right across the aisle from where Bill was stationed..

At 1PM Bill gave a talk about Harbour Lights and then had a drawing and a auction of some very interesting pieces..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Alpena Lighthouse Festival Images.. #125125 10/09/04 11:55 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

One of the very interesting pieces was this "one of a kind" never made bust of the Mr Fresnel! Bill paired it with a 4th order Harbour Lights Fresnel to auction off.. The pair of items went for over $600.. Oh, did I mentioned that the 4th order was taken from Bill's private stash and was a #1...

Dave H can't say he never wins anything as Bill drew out Dave's ticket for the Bodie Island HL LE..

A very unique piece was auctioned off in honor of the Alpena Festival and, like all of the other auctioned items, all the proceeds went to Lighthouse restoration.. It was a one of a kind Gold-plated Alpena HL Lighthouse. It went for $3,000!!

After the auction was over Bill went back to the exhibit hall to sign more pieces, including two that Sue and I won at the auction.. A HL Rock of Ages Lighthouse and a very special piece of the broken glass from the latern room of St George's Reef Lightouse..

Meanwhile back at our hotel room, while working on these images, I shot a picture of my new prized Rock of Ages Lighthouse with the previous image on my laptop... It is really special to Sue and I since we just visited the lighthouse on our recent cruise to Isle Royale with some great friends..

Oh, did I forget to mention that it also came from Bill's private stash and is numbered #1....

Re: Alpena Lighthouse Festival Images.. #125126 10/10/04 01:17 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Congratulations Paul and Sue on your #1! WOW!
How exciting! Has Bill ever given away #1's before?

Any WACKO we know that won the auction for the gold Alpena?

Was Dave's a #1 also?

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Melody
Re: Alpena Lighthouse Festival Images.. #125127 10/10/04 01:33 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Dave's wasn't and no Bill hasn't given any away before and he still hasn't given any away... I was the high bidder at the auction on both the piece from the St George's Reef Lighthouse and the #1 Rock of Ages...

Let's just say the cost for both was less than what I paid for one of the hard hat's from the Hatteras crew's moving of the Hatteras lighthouse, a few years ago.. And the money in both cases went to lighthouse restoration funds..

The winner of the Gold Alpena was not a Wacko from the forums. He and another gentleman had a lively bidding war, which Bill handled with his usual flair! The first bid was $700..

Re: Alpena Lighthouse Festival Images.. #125128 10/10/04 08:00 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Great commentary and photos, Paul! Thank you so much for taking the time to share them.

Flag#1, doesn't get any better than that! The lowest Flag# I have (so far) is #13. Congrats on obtaining such a great piece!

smile Bob smile

Re: Alpena Lighthouse Festival Images.. #125129 10/10/04 10:17 AM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Paul,

Congratulations on getting some wonderful pieces and it looks like it would have been a great event to attend. I went last year and had a good time, but this year Carol had us committed to another activity. Oh well ..... did you visit any of the lights in the area?

Dan

Re: Alpena Lighthouse Festival Images.. #125130 10/10/04 04:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Although not from the lighthouse festival, I was in Alpena this past wednesday morning, before sunrise, on the private property side of the river and was able to get a few pictures.

Re: Alpena Lighthouse Festival Images.. #125131 10/11/04 03:05 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Paul...Thanks for sharing the pictures so that we could experience the event through your post. smile

I think you and Sue are out of town more that I am. laugh wink laugh

Re: Alpena Lighthouse Festival Images.. #125132 10/11/04 07:53 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
That's a very interesting sky in your picture, Mark! Thanks for sharing.

smile Bob smile

Re: Alpena Lighthouse Festival Images.. #125133 10/11/04 08:54 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Paul, thanks for sharing! I didn't get a chance to make it to Alpena but I was able to hit Forty Mile Point, Mackinaw, and we made a repeat trip out to Au Sable in Pictured Rocks. Boy have I got some shots to share. I just walked in the door. What a great weekend for weather! BTW...I'm JEALOUS of your #1 ROA piece!! CONGRATS! smile

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, RickJax), 1,509 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users